What is a NSFAS Incidental Allowance?

Please share this article


During the 2020 allowance adjustments by the Higher Education department, students funded by NSFAS saw some improvements in their allowances. It was in this year that students were given new funds for personal and educational improvements.


The incidental allowance is one of the allowances which the Minister responsible for higher education, Blade Nzimande, announced in the 2020 financial year. 

This particular allowance, better known as the incidental or personal care allowance, mainly caters for students in distance learning funded by NSFAS and catered residences.

The allowance is R290 per month for UNISA students in distance learning, or for students who do ten modules per academic year. In total, students receive R2900 per year, as they receive the money for the duration of their academic year only.

The academic year totals up to ten months, running from February to November each year.

The allowance has however been criticised by UNISA students as not being enough. 

Government, on the other hand, believes that the qualifying students for this particular allowance live in more advantageous conditions compared to full-time students that are expected to be at school every week to engage in contact learning.  

The allowance is also paid to University students who live in catered residences.

More information about NSFAS allowances can be found on the NSFAS website.


WhatsApp Channel

Sponsored Ad



Google News

Post-Matric Options


After completing your matric certificate exams, you are faced with a multitude of post-matric options that can shape your future paths.

These options range from pursuing higher education at universities or colleges, entering vocational training programs, joining the workforce, or even considering entrepreneurial ventures, each offering unique opportunities for personal and professional growth.

You've probably been contemplating the next chapter of your life all throughout the year asking yourself, 'what am I going to study after I finish completing my matric certificate exams?', 'am I going to study? What else can I do when I pass'? Well, we can help.


Where to Study


Other Articles

In a country with a staggering unemployment rate, it's important that awareness is brought to industries where employees are needed. Citizens can use this list to see which careers they could follow and potentially boost their employment prospects. 


Latest SASSA articles

The South African Social Security Agency(Sassa) is still in the process of paying out the R350 grant to all qualifying applicants. However, if you are curious as to which grant payment collection methods Sassa currently has in place, then the following answer may be of interest to you. 

The President has confirmed that the SRD Grant is here to stay - and is going to be improved. So its still worth submitting an appeal if you were rejected unfairly for the R350 grant. Here is how the process you should follow and details on how long you can expect to wait. 


Careers Advice

Police officers are often looked up to as the heroes of communities and many people aspire to be in this position. If you're one of those who dream of working for the police, here's where you can study to join SAPS.