Teacher Incentives Taken Away

Advertisement
 

The Department of Basic Education has decided to no longer provide teachers incentives. Minister Angie Motshekga explains the reason for the withdrawal of the incentive policy.


Advertisement


The teacher incentive policy was gazetted in 2008 and implemented to encourage teachers to work in rural areas for a monetary incentive.

Rural teachers received an incentive of 10% of their basic salary when they entered the profession with a four-year qualification.

According to Basic Education Department, the decision to withdraw the policy was due to budget constraints. 

Minister Angie Motshekga stated that the policy became unsustainable for these rural provinces which include Limpopo, KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape. 

“We are saying every two-thirds of your teachers must get this incentive and those provinces are finding it difficult to sustain that incentive,” said Motshekga.

Only some of these teachers receive the incentive as the provinces cannot afford to provide all their teachers who work at rural schools with the incentive. 

Motshekga mentioned that “at the moment it is first come first serve and the rest do not receive the incentive”. 

According to Motshekga, only about 25% of teachers were receiving the incentive, which caused the other 75% of teachers who were not receiving it to feel that it was unfair to them. Therefore, the department decided that it would be best to withdraw the policy as it was not sustainable for these provinces. 

Initially, the incentive was introduced to assist with the shortage of teachers in rural areas, however, since then other programmes have been implemented to address the issue, therefore, the withdrawal of the incentive may not affect the number of teachers in these rural schools. 

According to Elijah Mlhanga, the programmes included the Funza Lushaka Bursary, which states that after qualifying as a teacher these recipients are required to teach at schools in need and rural schools, and community recruitment took place where young people were given funding to pursue teaching degrees on the condition that they teach in their rural communities.


Advertisement

 


Advertisement


Other Articles

Helping you tick every requirement off your ‘where-to-study’ checklist is Boston City Campus! An accredited Higher Education Institution, Boston offers Postgrad, Degrees, Diplomas and Higher Certificates -full-time, part-time and online. At the centre of our institutional goals lies our commitment to the learning and development of our students -these form a culture of excellence, resilience, and entrepreneurship.

If you're looking for a medical profession that's easy to get into, becoming a general practice doctor is probably the easiest route to take.

Advertisement


Latest SASSA Articles

The Sassa Social Relief of Distress grant is being paid to all qualifying beneficiaries. If you are among those that have been meaning to apply for an appeal to your reject application status, Here is the procedure on how to lodge an appeal for your declined R350 grant application.

Does your R350 SRD grant application status say 'Self Exclusionary Response Found'? Here's what this means and what you can do about it. 


Advertisement


Careers Advice

Cyber security professionals do not have an easy job, which is one of the reasons why they are highly sought after by companies in all industries. As the importance of data security increases, companies find it increasingly difficult to protect their data. 

When you hear about your friend’s fabulous job in tech, the perks and the pay, it all sounds pretty awesome. While it might feel like grass is always greener on the other side, making a career switch isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be.

Advertisement