Dept In Talks About Round Two For School Assistants
The Department of Basic Education are now discussing a possible second phase for the school assistants programme which fell under the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative. More than 300 000 young people were hired to assist in schools.
The School Assistants Programme which saw over 320 000 South African youth get hired to assist in schools might have another round. The Department of Basic Education (DBE) are now looking at this possibility.
It's important to note that this does not mean that the contracts of the first phase of assistants will be extended. Instead, the department explained what might happen in a statement which read:
... discussions are underway to review and repackage the initiative with a proposed second phase.
This second phase will start later this year, said DBE.
In some provinces, adverts for similar programmes have appeared but the department made it a point to say that these are not linked to the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative.
These 320 000 individuals were hired as either Teacher assistants or General Education assistants.
67% of them were recruited as Teacher Assistants while the remaining 33% were General Education Assistants.
The programme, which started in December 2020, came to an end on 30 April.
Government spent R7 billion on the programme, "of which R6 998 billion was distributed to provinces as an equitable share".
1% of the R4,47 billion which was directed towards youth employment went towards UIF contributions and another 1% went towards training.
Nothing has been finalised yet when it comes to the second phase of the programme.
Unisa is an open distance learning university which allows students to pursue their studies by using online resources and study materials provided by Unisa themself. They provide quality tertiary education which can be completed in a schedule chosen by the student.
Are you interested in representing your fellow peers at Red & Yellow? Well, now is your chance to apply for a seat on their Student Body. Allow your voice to be heard.
Once you've been approved to have your studies funded by NSFAS, there are requirements you'll need to keep up during your studies to ensure that you stay funded by NSFAS. Keep reading to learn more.
Most popular articles today
If you want to study next year, you need to start by applying. The key is to find out the 2022 institution application dates. Applying for tertiary studies can be challenging to find out the details you need. From finding out the application dates so that you can start collecting all of the documents required. Application dates may vary and/or change due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Most colleges are opening up for 2022 applications during the month of May.
The Department of Basic Education and teachers unions are still debating about whether primary school pupils should return the school full-time. Many say it is not worth as there have been talks of a third wave, while others say it is needed.
Other people were also interested in:
A social grant refers to grants paid by government to South African citizens who are in need of assistance. In South Africa, social grants are administered by the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA). Social grants are in place to help improve standards of living in society and are given to people who are vulnerable to poverty and in need of state support.
Students at the Walter Sisulu University have taken to the streets to protest over NSFAS allowances as well as admission and registration matters. The University has suspended all academic activities due to these protests.