How To Apply For An ID In Grade 12

How To Apply For An ID In Grade 12


It is important to get an identity document (ID) as soon as you turn 16 years old. It is a document that you will most likely need for many things after you turn 16, like writing your grade 12 exams and applying to university.

Home Affairs is not issuing permanent IDs under lockdown level 3. However, it has made an exception for grade 12 learners, as it has said that they are allowed to go to Home Affairs to apply for a permanent ID.

First-time applicants must submit the following documentation to their nearest Department of Home Affairs office or South African mission or consulate abroad:

  • Form BI-9, completed in black ink
  • A certified copy of your Birth certificate or reference book  or a copy of the old Transkei, Bophutatswana, Venda or Ciskei homelands identity or travel documents 
  • Two identical, colour photographs (NOT needed at smartcard offices as ID images are captured digitally however colour photographs are still needed for temporary IDs)
  • Your fingerprints will be taken by a Home Affairs official and imprinted on Form DHA-9. 

If you are a naturalised citizen or a permanent residence permit holder you must attach the following to your application form:

  • your naturalisation certificate and a copy, which will be certified by Home Affairs
  • your permanent residency certificate and a copy, which will be certified by Home Affairs
  • your exemption certificate and a copy, which will be certified by Home Affairs
  • Form BI-1620, which must be  completed at a Home Affairs office

If the permanent residence permit or exemption certificate cannot be provided, Form BI-829 must be completed in order for a duplicate to be issued to you. If the naturalization certificate cannot be provided, you must apply for a duplicate prior to submitting the ID book application

If you are not in grade 12 but still need an ID, you can only apply for a temporary ID under lockdown level 3. 

Unlike a permanent ID, The temporary certificate will only be valid for a short time

If you are planning to get a temporary ID certificate, you need the following:

  • B1-9 form completed in black ink at Home Affairs
  • Two identical ID colour photographs
  • A certified copy of your birth certificate (If there is no birth certificate, forms DHA-24, DHA-24/A x 2 and DHA-288 must be filled in to register the birth. There must also be written reasons for why the birth was not registered.)
  • Proof of address (If you take a utilities bill like an electricity bill, you need an affidavit from your parent/guardian to confirm that you live at the address. You can also just apply for a club card from a supermarket which will give your address.) 
  • Your fingerprints will be taken by Home Affairs officials and printed.

The temporary ID certificate costs R70. 





Other Articles

Applications for the 2023 academic year are now open at Northlink College. Northlink College is a TVET College situated in the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town and offers various courses.

Applications are open for Second Semester Business Studies at Gonnafela Letlole Academy, Mmametlhake Campus.


Latest SASSA Articles

The Sassa Social Relief of Distress grant is being paid to all qualifying beneficiaries. If you are among those that have been meaning to apply for an appeal to your reject application status, Here is the procedure on how to lodge an appeal for your declined R350 grant application.

Does your R350 SRD grant application status say 'Self Exclusionary Response Found'? Here's what this means and what you can do about it. 


Careers Advice

Cyber security professionals do not have an easy job, which is one of the reasons why they are highly sought after by companies in all industries. As the importance of data security increases, companies find it increasingly difficult to protect their data. 

When you hear about your friend’s fabulous job in tech, the perks and the pay, it all sounds pretty awesome. While it might feel like grass is always greener on the other side, making a career switch isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be.