How To Apply To High School

Is your child in Grade 7 or currently in high school, however, you need to apply to a new high school and are not sure which steps to take? Well, here is what you need to know.


Parents and guardians are urged to register their children at a school before the end of the current school year if they need to enrol the following year. Parents may enrol their child at a school close to their home or close to their place of work.

Each province has its own school registration deadline which is why parents are reminded to check the registration deadlines for their province.

Parents and guardians have the choice of where they would like to register their children. They have the option of independent schools or public schools. Independent schools are privately governed, whereas public schools are controlled by the government.

Before applying to schools, parents need to ensure that the schools they hope to enrol their children at are registered with the proper authorities.

Independent schools should be registered with the Provincial Education Department and public schools need to be established by the MEC for education in the province.

Click here to visit the Provincial Education Department website.

The following documents are required when registering:

  • Application form from the school
  • Official birth certificate or child’s ID (Baptism certificates will not be regarded as proof of birth date)
  • Transfer card and latest school report (If the child is moving from one school to another)

Non-South African citizens are required to include the following additional documents:

  • Study permit
  • Temporary or permanent residence permit or proof that you have applied for permission to stay in South Africa.

Application forms are available for collection from the schools.

School fees vary depending on the school. In the event that the parent is unable to afford the school fees, they will be required to make arrangements with the school.

A learner may not be refused admission to the school, however, the school may take legal action against the parent if they do not pay the outstanding fees.


Other Articles

Today we bring you IEB Matric past papers for Visual Arts. Matric past papers are a great way to prepare for your Matric final exams.

Today we bring you IEB Matric past papers for IsiZulu HL. Matric past papers are a great way to prepare for your Matric final exams.