Being an introvert doesn't mean that you have to become a hermit.
As an introvert, meeting new people can be daunting — and even more so when that involves leaving the comfort of your high school friends to start college. But know that making friends as an introvert is totally doable!
If you are shy and not sure how to approach people on campus, here are some tips for making new friends.
- Introverts can feel awkward chatting to new people, and often worry that they will appear boring. But while they might be reticent when it comes to walks of life, introverts are often passionate about the things that interest them. If you are introverted and you want to make friends at college, you should do so by being open about the subjects that excite you, whether those are related to your academic studies or not.
- Make conversations while waiting in line to get food.
- Sit next to someone you'd like to get to know better in class.
- Take a study break together.
- Pick a place where you know people will be hanging out and make an effort to socialise.
Whether you're still in high school or heading off to university, starting college is a pretty exciting time. But, if you're a little more introverted than most, the mix of large numbers of students and new social settings can all be a bit overwhelming.