Applications to benefit from the Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme will soon be closing for the 2024 academic year. This is the perfect bursary for teaching courses.
Funza Lushaka Bursary Closing Date
This application period for first time applicants of Funza Lushaka bursary will close on 2nd February 2024 which means that applicants have only three months to apply for the bursary.
Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme Requirements
These are the requirements you need to meet to access the Funza Lushaka Bursary.
- Must be 30 years old or younger
- Have no other teaching qualifications
- Must be a South African citizens with a valid South African ID number
- Good academic ability
- An exemption, endorsement, or ‘admission to bachelor degree studies’ pass at matric/Grade 12 level.
- At least a level 4 pass at matric level in the two subjects which the applicant will specialise to teach.
- For students who wish to specialise in the Foundation Phase, a Level 2 pass in Mathematics or Level 4 pass in Mathematical Literacy at Grade 12 level is required. In addition, a t least a level 4 pass in the Home Language is required.
- For students who wish to specialise in the Intermediate Phase, a Level 4 pass in Mathematics and a level 4 in a Home Language subject and/or a Level 4 pass in Science Subjects at Grade 12 level is required. In addition, at least a level 4 pass in the Home Language is required.
- Students who wish to specialize in the teaching of Technology subjects, including CAT, IT, and other Technical stream subjects and who do not have these subjects level, must have at least a level 4 pass in Mathematics or Technical Mathematics.
- Must be accepted into an approved B.Ed. degree or PGCE programme to specialise in two or more of the priority subject areas.
- Must be committed to teach in any school to which a student may be placed by a Provincial Education Department (PED)
How To Apply for the Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme
Or you can follow these steps:
- Open the e-Gov portal at www.eservices.gov.za
- Register by providing personal information.
- Login to the system using username and password created when registering.
- On the e-Services Menu select Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme.
- Enter the OTP received on the preferred channel.
- Accept the Terms and Conditions.
- On the dashboard menu click on the 2023 application button.
- Follow the steps to complete the required field with your information.
- Accept the declaration to confirm the information captured.
Applications can only be submitted online. No hard copies will be accepted for applications.
How To Track Your Application
You should not just apply for the Funza Lushaka bursary and forget about it. It is important to check on your application to see if they ask you for any additional information. We have a whole article on how to track your Funza Lushaka bursary application. But here is the summary.
- Go to the eServices Website you used to log in
- Provide your login details such as your username and password
- Click the Login button
- Click on Funza Lushaka Bursary
- Check your status
The Funza Lushaka Bursary covers tuition fees, accommodation including meals, learning materials and they provide a monthly living allowance for living expenses.
Is the Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme Effective?
The South African government had to take strong measures to intervene in the teaching market as the average age of teachers in government schools is around 55.
This means that many will be retiring in the next few years.
The Funza Lushaka bursary was one of the main steps taken to ensure that there are enough young people entering the teaching profession.
A study conducted by the South African government's Department of Planning Monitoring and Evaluation has found that the Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme is effective (and cost-effective) in attracting high-achieving students who complete teaching degrees in good time and go on to take up government funded posts at public schools in South Africa.
The study found that the Funza Lushaka bursary is making an important contribution to the substantial increase in enrollment of students in teaching degrees and has been very successful in attracting quality students to become teachers.
- There are limited places available you your funding is not guaranteed.
- There are no late Funza Lushaka bursary applications accepted so ensure that your submit your application well before the closing date.
Application Closing Date
Applications for the Funza Lushaka bursary programme for 2024 opened on 08 October 2023.
Re-applications (for Existing/Returning Bursary Recipients): 30 November 2023
First-time applicant’s bursary deadline closes on 02 February 2024
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I accept the bursary for fewer years than the full number of years of the degree I am studying?
A: Yes and then you will only be obliged to work back the number of years that you were funded by the Funza Lushaka bursary programme.
However you must start the placement in the year immediately after graduating.
Q: If I have another partial bursary already can I accept the Funza Lushaka bursary as well?
A: No you can only be accepted onto the Funza Lushaka bursary programme if it is the only bursary your are on.
Q: Is the funding for the whole degree or just a year.
A: The funding is awarded for one year at a time. You will need to reapply in November each year.
If you academic progress is satisfactory you will be funded again for the next year for your tuition fees, accommodation, etc.
Q: Can I be funded if I need to study for an additional year at university to complete my degree?
A: This may be possibly and you can apply to be supported for an additional, fifth, year at university to complete your degree. This will be considered on a case by case basis. If you are approved it will mean that you will be required to work back one additional year at a government school.
This will only be considered for students completing the Bachelor of Education.