Below are some of the best schools in South Africa where you can study pharmacy. Most of these schools offer the traditional brick and mortar pattern of studies while some others offer online pharmacy that can be taken either from South Africa or any other part of the world.
Pharmacists screen people for early signs of disease, using advanced methods to provide sound pharmaceutical care. They are also specialists in the formulation, manufacture, storage, dispensing, counselling, and controlling of medicines.
They provide advice on medications used to treat illnesses and ensure optimal drug therapy.
There are lots of study options open and available to you depending on what you really desire.
The Universities that offer pharmacy in South Africa are as follows:
• University of Western Cape (Cape Town)
• University of Witwatersrand (Johannesburg)
• North West University (Potchefstroom)
• Rhodes University (Grahamstown)
• University of Kwazulu-Natal - Westville (Durban)
• University of Pretoria (Pretoria)
• Nelson Mandela University (Gqeberha)
• Stellenbosch University (Cape Town)
• Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (Ga-Rankuwa)
• Health Science Academy (Pretoria)
• University of Cape Town (Cape Town)
• Medical University of South Africa (Pretoria)
• University of Limpopo (Mankweng)
To learn more about these Universities and how to apply, click here.
Its also important that you look at specific requirements by each university. The common requirement for a Matriculant is to get a bachelor pass, of course having done subjects at school with health and science background.
Pharmacy degree holders can work in several fields such as being a pharmacist, patient counselling, doing further studies such as master's degree, working in a university as a lecturer, or working as a drug information specialist.