Marketing Career Guidance
What is Marketing about?
Marketing is a career that refers to activities a company undertakes to promote the buying or selling of a product or service.
What are the duties and tasks performed in the Marketing industry?
- Advertise and promote new products and services on social media, newspapers, television or radio stations.
- Research needs of customers and develop products;
- Determine pricing, packaging, sales, promotions and distribution;
- Guide consumers on products and brands;
- Develop marketing plans and strategies to effectively promote products or services.
What skills and abilities are required for a career in Marketing?
- Must be technology-savvy;
- Be a confident public speaker;
- Good networking ability;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Time management and good teamwork;
- Be creative;
- Good computer skills to produce and record information.
What are the working conditions in the Marketing industry?
Most marketing professionals work in an office environment. They typically have their own offices, but they may attend meetings or events often. Some may work in a variety of locations and need to travel frequently to attend networking events, product launches or exhibitions. They usually work office hours, but during busy periods may be required to work overtime or even during weekends.
What are the minimum entry requirements to study Marketing at a TVET College?
At a TVET College, the normal entrance requirements for the Marketing course are:
- NC(V) Programme:
A Grade 9 Certificate + college requirements set per programme.
- NATED Programme:
Grade 12 Certificate + college requirements set per programme OR an NC(V) Level 4 Certificate in Marketing.
What should I do if I want to study Marketing?
- Visit or contact a TVET College nearest to you to enquire about the entrance requirements for the Marketing course;
- Visit Marketing agencies to gain more knowledge about the field and what it entails;
- Contact DHET Career Development Services to provide you with free quality career information, advice and counselling services on 086 999 0123 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Go for an aptitude test to help understand if a career in Marketing is for you; and
Attend Career Exhibitions in your area to liaise with higher learning institutions and obtain application forms.
Are you wondering where you can study information technology (IT) at in South Africa? Find out everything you need to know about IT and where to study IT in South Africa below.
Most popular articles today
South Africa's government spends more on social assistance than the rest of the world, with one out of every three people receiving a social grant.
Are you wanting to become a teacher? Looking to apply for a teaching position but do not have a clue on how to write a cover letter that is relevant to the job you are applying for? Look no further.
Other people were also interested in:
REGENT business school has developed a series of programmes that are designed to provide individuals and organisations with the management competencies and critical skills necessary to build and sustain competitive advantages in a rapidly changing and complex business environment.