What are the duties and tasks performed in the Hospitality industry?
Duties vary with the size and type of the business.
- Food and beverage managers oversee restaurants and banquets. They plan menus, set prices, and order supplies;
- Chefs and head cooks prepare, season, and cook food. They also supervise, train, and observe cooks and kitchen workers;
- In large hotels, general hospitality managers are in charge of the entire hotel, conference venues and meeting rooms. They set room rates , monitor income and expenses, and supervise other staff;
- Waiters take orders and serve food and beverages to guests at tables in dining establishments. They also check with customers to ensure that they are enjoying their meals and take action to correct any problems.
What skills and abilities are required for a career in the Hospitality industry?
- Multitasking: At all levels, careers in hospitality require employees to handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously;
- Flexibility: On the job, they must be ready to switch gears at a moment's notice if unexpected situations arise;
- Paying attention to detail: It's the little things that make a guest's experience extraordinary;
- Time Management and good teamwork: Must be able to manage their time and the time of others effectively;
- Basic computer skills: Computers are used to produce reports or to order food or supplies;
- Good language skills: Fluency in the language of the establishment is important so that the customer 's needs and expectations are understood;
- Communication skills: Communicating is important for a meal service to run smoothly;
- Miscommunication can result in unsatisfied customers and or food/beverage wastage;
- Lastly the most important attribute is Passion: Loving what you do is always the key to success.
What are the minimum entry requirements to study Hospitality at a TVET College?
At a TVET College, the entrance requirements for the Hospitality course are :
- NC(V) Programme:
A Grade 9 Certificate + college requirements set per programme .
- NATED Programme:
Grade 12 with a pass in English as an added advantage + college requirements set per programme OR an NC(V) Level 4 Certificate in Hospitality.
What should I do if I want to study Hospitality?
- Contact your nearest TVET College to enquire about the entrance requirements to do the Hospitality course;
- Visit Hospitality companies (e.g. hotels, restaurants, etc.) to gain knowledge about the field and what it entails;
- Contact DHET Career Development Services to provide you with free quality career in formation, advice and counselling services on 086 999 0123 or e-mail: [email protected]
- Go for an aptitude test to help understand if a career in Hospitality is for you;
- Attend Career Exhibitions in your area to liaise with higher learning institutions and obtain application forms.
What is the duration of the Hospitality course at a TVET College?
- NC(V) Programme: Hospitality is offered from NQF Level 2 to 4 (i .e. 1 year per level). The total duration of the programme is normally 3 years.
- NATED Programme: Hospitality is offered from N4 to N6 level (i.e. 6 months per level). The total duration of the programme is normally 18 months. To complete the qualification, the student must also complete 18 months of practical training (In-service training) in the relevant field of study.
Did you know?
Globally, there is a demand for quality hospitality professionals. With the right qualifications, you could land yourself a fantastic job opportunity either locally or abroad.