Plumbing Career Guidance
What does a Plumber do?
A plumber installs and repairs pipes that supply water and gas to, as well as carry waste away from, homes and businesses. They also install plumbing fixtures such as bathtubs, showers, sinks, toilets and appliances (including dishwashers and washing machines).
What are the duties and tasks of a Plumber?
- Installing, repairing, and maintaining pipes, valves, fittings, drainage systems, and fixtures in homes and businesses;
- Collaborating with general contractors, electricians, and other construction professionals;
- Following building plans and blueprints;
- Responding to, diagnosing, and resolving plumbing emergencies;
- Performing routine inspections of plumbing and drainage systems.
What skills and abilities are required to become a Plumber?
- Good communication skills to be able to speak with customers to gain an understanding of their plumbing problems;
- Excellent problem solving skills;
- Attention to detail and ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Proficiency in basic mathematics and conversion of measurements;
- Must always be punctual.
What are the working conditions of a Plumber?
Plumbers work in factories, homes, businesses, and other places where there are pipes and related systems. Plumbers lift heavy materials, climb ladders, and work in tight spaces. Some plumbers travel to worksites every day.
What are the minimum entry requirements to study Plumbing?
At a TVET College , the normal entrance requirements for the Plumbing course are:
- NC(V) Programme:
A Grade 9 Certificate + college requirements set per programme.
- NATED Programme:
N1 admission - Grade 9 Certificate.
N4 admission - Grade 12 with a pass in Mathematics+ college requirements set per programme OR an NC(V) Level 4 Certificate in Civil Engineering and Building Construction.
What should I do if I want to study Plumbing?
- Visit or contact a TVET College nearest to you to enquire about the entrance requirements to do the Plumbing course;
- Visit Plumbing training centres or companies to gain more knowledge about the field and what it entails;
- Contact DHET Career Development Services to provide you with free quality career in formation, advice and counselling services on 086 999 0123 or e-mail: email@example.com
- Go for an aptitude test to help understand if a career in Plumbing is for you;
- Attend Career Exhibitions in your area to liaise with higher learning institutions and obtain application forms.
Are you wondering where you can study information technology (IT) at in South Africa? Find out everything you need to know about IT and where to study IT in South Africa below.
Most popular articles today
South Africa's government spends more on social assistance than the rest of the world, with one out of every three people receiving a social grant.
Are you wanting to become a teacher? Looking to apply for a teaching position but do not have a clue on how to write a cover letter that is relevant to the job you are applying for? Look no further.
Other people were also interested in:
REGENT business school has developed a series of programmes that are designed to provide individuals and organisations with the management competencies and critical skills necessary to build and sustain competitive advantages in a rapidly changing and complex business environment.