Information Technology Career Guidance
What is Information Technology?
Information Technology (IT) refers to anything related to computing technology. Information Technology is the study, design, development, implementation, support or management of computer-based information systems. It deals mainly with software applications (e.g. computer programs, codes and instructions - within a computer) and computer hardware (such as screen, monitor or motherboard - physical components). IT workers help ensure that computers work well for people).
What are the duties and tasks of an IT Technician?
- Set up workstations with computers and necessary peripheral devices (such as routers, printers, scanners, etc.) and also install software;
- Perform troubleshooting to diagnose and resolve computer problems (repair or replace parts, debugging, etc.);
- Ability to ensure secure information systems that will serve to protect the business from data loss and breaches of integrity;
- Repairing equipment and replacing parts.
What skills and abilities are required to become an IT Technician?
- Good communication skills to be able to listen, ask the right questions to find the problem, then come up with a solution that everyone can understand;
- Excellent problem solving skills;
- Patience and a positive attitude to help other employees or customers;
- Outstanding organisational and time-management skills;
- Good technical skills - must have an understanding of how computers work.
What are the minimum entry requirements to study Information Technology at a TVET College?
For the NC(V) Information Technology and Computer Science Programme: A Grade 9 Certificate + college requirements set per programme.
What should I do if I want to study Information Technology?
- Visit or contact a TVET College nearest to you to enquire about the entrance requirements for the Information Technology course;
- Visit Information Technology companies to gain more knowledge about the field and what it entails;
- Contact DHET Career Development Services to provide you with free quality career information, advice and counselling services on 086 999 0123 or e-mail:email@example.com
- Go for an aptitude test to help understand if a career in Information Technology is for you;
- Attend Career Exhibitions in your area to liaise with higher learning institutions and obtain application forms.
What are the benefits of studying Information Technology?
- Opportunity for growth: There are many opportunities available for you to advance your career in the IT field as an entrepreneur.
- Learn valuable IT skills: With the skills you learn, you can choose to work in any industry, even if it's not IT.
- Advancing technology: One of the biggest benefits of getting into the IT field is that technology is always improving. This means that your skills will always be in demand .
Are you wondering where you can study information technology (IT) at in South Africa? Find out everything you need to know about IT and where to study IT in South Africa below.
Most popular articles today
South Africa's government spends more on social assistance than the rest of the world, with one out of every three people receiving a social grant.
Are you wanting to become a teacher? Looking to apply for a teaching position but do not have a clue on how to write a cover letter that is relevant to the job you are applying for? Look no further.
Other people were also interested in:
REGENT business school has developed a series of programmes that are designed to provide individuals and organisations with the management competencies and critical skills necessary to build and sustain competitive advantages in a rapidly changing and complex business environment.