As many R350 grant recipients may be aware, the South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) is in the process of paying out for May 2022. However, as with all things relating to the grant, there always needs to be clarity regarding some of its processes and requirements.
With this in mind, we will be looking to determine whether refugees qualify for the Sassa R350 grant.
A refugee as defined by the country’s Home Affairs Department, is a person who has fled his or her country of origin and is seeking recognition and protection as a refugee in the Republic of South Africa, and whose application is still under consideration.
Yes refugees do qualify for the Sassa R350 grant, they merely have to meet other eligibility criteria requirements and must be registered on the home affairs database.
The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) continues to disburse the R350 grant, following the announcement that it will be extended for another year. It remains important for its beneficiaries to know where to submit their application.
Sassa still requires SRD grant applications to be submitted online using the platforms listed below:
- SASSA website - https://srd.sassa.gov.za
- Email - [email protected]
- WhatsApp: 082 046 8553 (send a Whatsapp message to this number. Make sure to include your name, surname and ID number in the Whatsapp message. You will then receive a message which will detail the next steps you need to follow.)
- USSD line: Dial *134*7737# and follow the prompts
- GovChat: https://govchat.app/login\
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/govchat.org.
After submitting your application, you will be required to sign a declaration and consent form, since Sassa will be verifying your details through other institutions such as SARS, NSFAS, Department of Labour and the Department of Home Affairs.
In submitting your application, Sassa will need you to provide documents containing the following details:
- Identity Number or Department of Home Affairs Refugee permit number
- Name and Surname as captured in the Identity Document
- Gender and Disability
- Contact details - Cell phone number
- Residential Address
R350 grant recipients whose applications have declined can lodge an appeal or request for reconsideration for their applications to be reviewed on the Sassa Covid-19 portal.