The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) is a government bursary that provides tertiary funding to disadvantaged South African students, who wish to pursue their studies at a public university or TVET college in the country.
The NSFAS bursary covers the costs of registration, tuition and provides students with various allowances. These allowances cover transport, living expenses and learning materials.
Here's where to apply for NSFAS in Gauteng:
You can apply online by doing the following:
- Go to https://my.nsfas.org.za/Application/selfservice.jsp
- Create a myNSFAS account
- Click on ‘Apply’ and update your information and upload your application supporting documents
- Click ‘Submit’
There are also application centres around the province such as:
- 3 Sutherland Street, Randfontein, Westrand, Gauteng
- 6th floor, 28 Harrison Street, Johannesburg, Gauteng
- Middestad Mall (between Pretorius and Schoeman Street),1st Floor. 252 Thabo Sehume (Formerly Andries) Street,Tshwane, Gauteng
- Old Boksburg Magistrate Office, 13 Church Street, Boksburg, Gauteng
- Sedibeng Branch, Mafatsane Thusong Centre, Second Avenue, Evaton, Boipatong, Gauteng
In order to qualify for NSFAS funding you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Must be a South African citizen.
- Can be a SASSA grant recipient.
- Applicants whose combined household income is not more than R350 000 per annum.
- Persons with a disability whose combined household income is not more than R600 000 per annum.
- Applicants who first registered at university before 2018 whose household income is not more than R122 000 per annum.