Who Qualifies For SASSA's Child Support Grant?

Please share this article


Sassa's Child Support Grant is given to many South African parents in need each year. Sassa provides grants to poor and vulnerable South Africans as many depend on grants for their livelihood.


Sassa administers many different grants, one of them being the Child Support Grant. This grant offers relief to disadvantaged parents who require financial help taking care for their children.

The grant helps these parents from lower-income households to provide their children with their basic needs.

You will get R500 a month per child. For those caring for orphaned children, they will be allowed to request a top-up of R250 to be added to their monthly R500. This will amount to a total R750 a month.

Who can apply?

  • A primary caregiver who is responsible for the child and is a South African citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Applicant and child should reside in South Africa
  • Caregiver must not earn more than R5 000 per month if single. If married, the total household income should not be more than R10 000

What are the requirements for the child?

  • Must be younger than 18 years old
  • Not be in the care of a state institution
  • Live with the primary caregiver in South Africa who isn't paid to look after the child
  • You can’t get the grant for more than 6 children who aren’t your legally adopted or biological children

How can I apply?

You can apply for the child support grant by filling in an application form at your nearest Sassa Office or counter service point of a Regional Office.

You can also apply using the SASSA services website and clicking on 'Apply for a grant'. 

You'll also need to show certain documents and provide some information, including:

  • your South African identity document (ID), which must be bar-coded,
  • the child's birth certificate, which must have an ID number, 
  • your salary slip, bank statements for 3 months, or pension slips, and any other proof of income,
  • if you’re unemployed, your Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) card – "blue book" – or a discharge certificate from your previous employer,
  • if you’re not the child's parent or guardian, a written note of permission from the parent or guardian that you should take care of the child,
  • if you’re not the child's parent or guardian, information about how you’ve tried to get the parents to pay maintenance,
  • information that shows that you’re the child's primary caregiver.

The child support grant is a key income support for many families. This grant is also complemented by other services such as free education, school feeding programs and affordable health services.

The government of South Africa aims to universalize the grant to cover all children in the country and contribute to improving the income security of all of South Africa's children.

You can call SASSA at at 0800 601 011 for more information or visit the SASSA website.

Suggested Article:

Everything you need to know about the sassa child support grant

The South African Social Security Agency provides financial assistance in the form of a Child Support Grant to the primary care giver of a child who meets the qualifying criteria. Here's all you need to know about the Sassa Child Support Grant. 



WhatsApp Channel

Sponsored Ad



Google News

Post-Matric Options


After completing your matric certificate exams, you are faced with a multitude of post-matric options that can shape your future paths.

These options range from pursuing higher education at universities or colleges, entering vocational training programs, joining the workforce, or even considering entrepreneurial ventures, each offering unique opportunities for personal and professional growth.

You've probably been contemplating the next chapter of your life all throughout the year asking yourself, 'what am I going to study after I finish completing my matric certificate exams?', 'am I going to study? What else can I do when I pass'? Well, we can help.


Where to Study


Other Articles

The Central Applications Office (CAO) has now opened applications for 2025 first semester. Apply now!


Latest SASSA articles

The South African Social Security Agency(Sassa) is still in the process of paying out the R350 grant to all qualifying applicants. However, if you are curious as to which grant payment collection methods Sassa currently has in place, then the following answer may be of interest to you. 

The President has confirmed that the SRD Grant is here to stay - and is going to be improved. So its still worth submitting an appeal if you were rejected unfairly for the R350 grant. Here is how the process you should follow and details on how long you can expect to wait. 


Careers Advice

A career as a flight attendant can provide many opportunities, such as allowing you to travel, see the world and meet tons of people from different walks of life. Here is everything you need to know if you're considering this as a career option.