Here Are All The Documents Needed To Apply For Sassa Grants

Please share this article


The submission of documents is a standard part of most application processes. When applying for a Sassa social grant, you will be required to submit a few documents with your application form.

Advertisement i

Social grant applications are administrated by the South African Social Security Agency (Sassa). Applicants are required to submit a number of documents to complete their application. 

Each social grant requires its own set of documentation. Here are all the documents needed to apply for Sassa grants:

What Documents Do I Need To Apply For Sassa Child Grant?

Child Support Grant

Provided to help parents or guardians look after their children if they are struggling. 

Documents needed:

  • Parent or guardian’s ID
  • Child’s birth certificate
  • Proof of maintenance received for the child.
  • Proof of income.
  • Marriage certificate (if applicable).
  • A court order stating you have custody of the child (if divorced).
  • Death certificate or missing person’s report from the police (if one or both parents are dead or missing).

Older Person’s Grant

People 60 years or older receive this grant. Previously, it was known as the Old Age Pension. 

Documents needed:

  • Identity Documents (ID)
  • Proof of marital status (if applicable).
  • Proof of residence.
  • Proof of income and/or dividends (if any).
  • Proof of assets, including the value of the property you own.
  • Proof of private pension (if any).
  • Bank statements (last 3 months).
  • Proof of Unemployment Insurance Fund membership or discharge certificate from the previous employer (if applicable).
  • Copy of the Will and fiesta and final liquidation and distribution accounts (if spouse died within last 5 years).

Care Dependency Grant

A grant is provided to those who take care of a child who has a severe disability and is in need of full-time and special care. 

Documents needed:

  • Parent or guardian’s ID
  • Child’s birth certificate
  • Medical/assessment report confirming the child’s disability.
  • Proof of marital status. 
  • Salary slips, bank statements for the previous three months, pension slips, and any other proof of income. (Note: this does not apply to refugee foster parents.) 
  • If you are:
    • not the child's parent, proof that you are the child’s primary caregiver through an affidavit from a police official, a social worker’s report, an affidavit from the biological parent or a letter from the school principal from the school attended by the child.
    • the biological parent of the child and the sole provider and caregiver, proof that you have tried to get the other parent to pay maintenance.
    • unemployed, proof from the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) or a discharge certificate from your previous employer.
    • a refugee foster parent, refugee status permit and refugee ID.
    • the child’s foster parent, the court order placing the child in your care.


Those living on a social grant but can’t look after themselves, are provided with an additional grant to pay the person who takes full-time care of them. 

Documents needed:

  • Identity Documents (ID).
  • Proof of marital status.
  • Spouse’s ID (if applicable).
  • Medical/assessment report (less than 3 months old) that shows that you need full-time care. 

War Veteran’s Grant

Former soldiers who fought in the Second World War (1939-1945) or the Korean War (1950-1953) and are unable to support themselves can apply for the grant. 

Documents needed:

  • Identity Documents (ID).
  • Proof of war service (Certificate of service).
  • Medical assessment/report stating that you cannot work (if under 60 years old).
  • An affidavit stating that you are single (if applicable).
  • Marriage certificate and your spouse’s ID (if applicable).
  • Divorce order (if applicable).
  • Spouse’s death certificate (if applicable).
  • Proof of income (if you or your spouse is employed).
  • Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) blue book or discharge certificate from your previous employer (if applicable).
  • Bank statements for the last three months (if applicable)
  • Information on the interest and dividends you earn (if you have investments).

Foster Child Grant

A foster child is a child who has been placed in your custody by a court as a result of being:

  • Orphaned
  • Abandoned 
  • At risk 
  • Abused 
  • Neglected.

Documents needed:

  • Identity document (ID)
  • Child’s birth certificate.
  • Status permit and refugee ID (if you are a refugee).
  • A court order that placed the child in your care.
  • Proof of your marital status.

Disability Grant

Those who have a physical or mental disability which makes them unfit to work for a period of longer than six months can apply for a disability grant. A temporary disability grant is provided if the disability will last for a continuous period of not less than six months and not more than 12 months.

A permanent disability grant is awarded if the disability will continue for more than a year. A permanent disability grant does not mean you will receive the grant for life, but that it will continue for longer than 12 months.

Documents needed:

  • Identity document (ID)
  • Medical report and functional assessment report that confirms disability.
  • Proof of marital status (if applicable).
  • Proof of residence.
  • Proof of income or dividends (if any).
  • Proof of assets, including the municipal value of your property.
  • Proof of private pension (if any).
  • Bank statements for the past three months.
  • Refugee status permit and 13-digit refugee ID.
  • Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) document ('blue book') or discharge certificate from your previous employer (if you were employed).
  • Copy of the will and the first and final liquidation and distribution accounts, if your spouse died within the last five years.

Social Relief of Distress Grant

Social relief of distress is a temporary provision of assistance intended for persons in such dire material need that they are unable to meet their families’ most basic needs.

Documents needed:

  • Identity document (ID).
  • Proof of no other support.
  • Proof of no income.

Is your application stuck on Pending? We've covered what this means and what steps you should take next.

Online Shopping Links

Takealot - Temu - Amazon - Shein


WhatsApp Channel

Sponsored Ad



Google News

Post-Matric Options


After completing your matric certificate exams, you are faced with a lot of post-matric options that can shape your future paths.

These options range from pursuing higher education at universities or colleges, entering vocational training programs, joining the workforce, or even starting your own business. There are so many choices but we are here to help.


Where to Study

Advertisement m

Other Articles

If you're looking to advance your education and career prospects, Sekhukhune TVET College offers a wide range of courses designed to equip you with the skills and knowledge needed in today's job market. Here's a closer look at what you can study at Sekhukhune TVET College.


Latest SASSA articles

Millions of people have applied for the SRD grant. However, some people who applied for the R370 Sassa grant will be required to complete the Sassa facial recognition process. 

Conducting a SRD grant status check informs applicants if and when they will receive an SRD grant payment. Here's how to check your Sassa SRD grant payment status.


Careers Advice

Schools of Skills focus on providing practical and vocational training to help students develop skills that can lead to employment opportunities or further vocational education.

Advertisement i