The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) is a government bursary that provides tertiary funding to disadvantaged South African students, who plan to continue their studies at a public university or TVET college in the country.
The NSFAS bursary covers the costs of registration, tuition and provides students with various allowances. These allowances cover transport, living expenses and learning materials.
So where can you apply for NSFAS funding in the North West?
You can apply online by doing the following:
- Go to https://my.nsfas.org.za/Application/selfservice.jsp
- Create a myNSFAS account
- Click on ‘Apply’ and update your information and upload your application supporting documents
- Click ‘Submit’
There are also application centres around the province such as:
- 39 Heystek Street, Next to SARS, Rustenburg, North West
- NYDA District Office : 19A Market Street, Vryburg, Ngaka Modiri Molema District, North West
If you do not have internet access or access to a cellphone or computer then you can visit these National Youth Development Agency (NYDA) and Thusong Centres for assistance.
The following documents must be submitted with your application:
- All applicants must provide a copy of ID. A temporary ID issued by the Department of Home Affairs will be accepted
- Non-SASSA applicants must provide ID copies of parent/s, legal guardian/guardian or spouse
- Smart ID cards: a copy with both sides of the smart ID must be provided
- Proof of income: applicant and/or parents/legal guardian/spouse (where applicable (non-SASSA) should provide latest payslip not older 3 months, UIF letter, appointment letter, retrenchment letter (applicant and/or parent(s), legal guardian/spouse)
- Person with disabilities: to complete Disability Annexure A form.
For more information on NSFAS, click here.