Learnerships in South Africa are usually managed by Sector Education Training (SETAs) and were initially introduced by the government to help prepare learners for the workplace.
Each year, SAPS learnerships are provided to interested candidates, and they are advertised across the country and within each province. Candidates who wish to apply for the learnerships must do so within their province.
Many of the SAPS learnerships are carried out over a 24-month period, with candidates receiving a monthly stipend for the duration of the learnership.
Candidates will gain skills and knowledge in various aspects of police work, for example, traffic accidents, traffic, and road laws, causes of traffic accidents and criminal activities.
SAPS Learnership may Include the following:
- Road Policing
- Freeway Patrol
- By-Law Policing
- The Equestrian Unit
- Crime prevention
- The Canine Unit
SAPS Learnership Enrollment Requirements:
- Must be South African citizen - with valid SA ID
- Grade 12 / Matric Certificate
- Candidates must be mentally & physically fit
- English, read, write, and speak
- Candidates must hold NO criminal record
- Candidates must Computer literate
- Candidates must hold a valid Code B Driver’s license
- Be self-motivated and a team player
- Candidates must have great liaison skills
- Candidates must possess leadership skills
Shortlisted candidates may be required to do the following:
- An English Proficiency Test
- A Fitness Test, including running - Males 2.4km in 11 minutes, Females 2.4km in 14.30 Minutes
- A Medical Examination
- Provide a Medical Certificate proving candidates may partake in strenuous exercises (Physical Examination)
- Obstacle Course - Males must complete within 3 Minutes, Females within 4 Minutes
- Firearm Training - Practical & Theoretical
How to apply for a SAPS Learnership:
- It is important to note that there are no online application processes for these learnerships.
- All application forms are to be collected from the SAPS Department Offices within the candidates Region or Province and once completed returned back to the office it was collected from. Candidates must ensure that all requested documents are attached and are certified.
- All candidates are required to include a detailed curriculum vitae with contact details, contactable references, as well as any information they feel may be useful to their application.
SAPS Learnership application open and closing dates are entirely dependent on the various police departments so it is advisable to visit your local SAPS to find out more about the learnership opportunities.