Advertisement

 

Protests


Rhodes University protest action continues as the Student Representative Council presents the students demands and they are not met. In the recent meeting with the Deputy Vice Chancellor they discussed the students issues and made decisions on how they will be going about these issues. 


Ben Winks, an independent advocate based in Johannesburg, speaks to the dangers of the use of rubber bullets amongst unarmed crowds as he answers the question of whether rubber bullets are safe enough to be used during protests.


The Minister in charge of Higher Education, Blade Nzimande, has the task of finding resolutions to all the issues students have been protesting about for years. He has now made it clear that there is no free higher education for all as government has previously said that they can't afford it.


Protests are said to be continuing at the Mangosuthu University of Technology. Last week saw students clashing with the police as they burned tyres and blocked MUT's main entrance.


The SRC of Mangosuthu University of Technology has met with the university's management to discuss issues of financial exclusion and historical debt among others. This comes after protests broke out at the university in which students and the police clashed. 


Police have had to keep a close eye on protests which were taking place outside MUT, DUT and Unisa as some became violent.


Violent protests took place on Thursday at the Mangosuthu University of Technology. The situation seems to have calmed down, however, classes remain suspended. The Minister and the MEC of education in the province have addressed the matter.


Protests turn violent at MUT as protestor and police having running battles. Protestor are demanding that their historic debt but, no middle ground can seem to be reached between students and universities.


Wits SRC assists many students with registration by starting their own fundraiser. Though protesting has died down, we have not seen the end of the movement for free education, public policing and justice. 


Some students started returning to classes on Monday. For two days last week students burnt tyres and wood in front of the South Cape Bitou campus.

 By Siphokazi Mnyobe


Higher education students across South Africa took part in protests and a national shutdown since last week to declare that all students be allowed to register and for historical debt to be cleared. The situation at campuses have now calmed down, for now.


Universities have said that they can't afford to scrap historic debt and government has said that they can't provide funding to do so. This is however the centre of nationwide protests around the country as students demand that historic debts be written off.


The South African Union of Students joins students across the country as protests for free education and other demands take place. The Union has said that NSFAS is failing students, even with the switch to a bursary scheme.


Four members of the South African Police Services have been arrested in connection with the death of Mthokozisi Ntumba. Ntumba passed away allegedly due to rubber bullets being fired by police during student protests.


A student has been shot and wounded in Johannesburg as student continue protesting for free education, amongst other things, across South Africa. Police have denied reports regarding the shooting.


"We will not abandon our students. We will fund their education because it is their right." These were the words of President Cyril Ramaphosa when he addressed the National House of Traditional Leaders in parliament. He was speaking on a day that student protests in Johannesburg spread across the country, with calls for a national campus shutdown if the government did not meet student demands. 


The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) will challenge Western Cape Education Department's (WCED) statements that no race exclusions took place at the Brackenfell High event saga. The EFF insists that the Minister was dismissing the allegations of racism from the beginning.


Debbie Schäfer, the Minister of Education Western Cape, has confirmed that the alleged whites-only Brackenfell High event was a private function organised by parents and that no exclusions based on race were made.


Current and former Brackenfell students have now also spoken out on racism experienced at the school and Brackenfell continues to be slashed following an alleged 'whites-only' event. The school is now taking their response to the protests another step forward.


The drama filled situation at Brackenfell High School has died down but continues in the background. The debacle has even managed to garner a hashtag of it's own on social media. Now, even the Premier is stepping in as the parties involved are being urged to hash out the issue through dialogue instead of fists.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement