Students Cautioned Against Redirected Use of NSFAS Allowances

The UWC Student Representative Council has issued a statement to caution students against the redirected use of their NSFAS allowances.



Recently, the SRC at the University of Western Cape has noticed that first-year students, who reside outside of the 60km radius, are using their food allowance to pay rent and using their transport allowance for food.

The SRC stated that NSFAS students, who originally live outside the 60km radius, are entitled to an accommodation rental amount to live at an accredited student house. However, if they receive an accommodation allowance they are not entitled to a travelling allowance. 

The council believes that students should not have to use their food allowance to cover the cost of accommodation, as other arrangements can be made.

Students who require assistance with applying for an accommodation allowance may email or message 084 809 3241.

They inquired about whether students can change their status from being a commuting student to being a student who receives an accommodation allowance. This question was important as students cannot be captured as both commuting and accommodation student. 

NSFAS responded that the top-up depends entirely on the institution and its communication lines. The organisation explained that a top-up is based on request and can be rechanneled into an accommodation allowance.

If any student lives in a Res/private accommodation or intends to have such an arrangement may send a request to and cc into the email.

Article Category

Other Articles

There are a variety of public tertiary institutions in South Africa that offer the opportunity for students to pursue a degree in Psychology. Studying a degree in Psychology will differ depending on various tertiary institutions and the type of Psychology specialisation that a student would like to pursue.

Those employed in Human Resources are involved in the process of employing people and then training them. If you're looking to build a career in HR, here are 5 places where you can study.

The Independent Examinations Board (IEB) has stipulated requirements detailing what students need to achieve academically in order to attain a Bachelor's Pass. 

NSFAS provides bursaries to poor and working class students and this includes those that wish to attend or are attending a TVET College. Keep reading to find out which NSFAS allowances TVET students get.

Nyari Samushonga, CEO of WeThinkCode_, sat down with Careers Portal to talk about coding, the importance of cultivating South Africa’s digital talent and tuition-free education. If you're interested in joining WeThinkCode-, we also have insight into how to apply.