SASSA: Who Qualifies For the Child Support Grant?

SASSA's Child Support Grant is given to many South Africans each year. SASSA provides grants to poor and vulnerable South Africans as many depend on grants for their livelihood.



SASSA administers many different grants, one of them being the Child Support Grant. Here's who qualifies for the grant.

The Child Support Grant is there for lower-income households to help parents with the costs of their child's basic needs.

You will get R450 a month per child.

Who can apply?

  • A primary caregiver who is responsible for the child
  • South African citizen or Permanent Resident
  • If the caregiver is single, they must earn R4000 or less per month
  • If the caregiver is married, the couple's combined monthly earnings must be less than R8000

What are the requirements for the child?

  • Must be younger than 18 years old
  • Not be in the care of a state institution
  • Live with the primary caregiver in South Africa who isn't paid to look after the child
  • You can’t get the grant for more than 6 children who aren’t your legally adopted or biological children

How can I apply?

You can apply for the child support grant by filling in an application form at your nearest SASSA Office or counter service point of a Regional Office.

You can also apply using the SASSA services website and clicking on 'Apply for a grant'. 

You'll also need to show certain documents and provide some information, including:

  • your South African identity document (ID), which must be bar-coded,
  • the child's birth certificate, which must have an ID number, 
  • your salary slip, bank statements for 3 months, or pension slips, and any other proof of income,
  • if you’re unemployed, your Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) card – "blue book" – or a discharge certificate from your previous employer,
  • if you’re not the child's parent or guardian, a written note of permission from the parent or guardian that you should take care of the child,
  • if you’re not the child's parent or guardian, information about how you’ve tried to get the parents to pay maintenance,
  • information that shows that you’re the child's primary caregiver.

The child support grant is a key income support for many families. This grant is also complemented by other services such as free education, school feeding programs and affordable health services.

The government of South Africa aims to universalize the grant to cover all children in the country and contribute to improving the income security of all of South Africa's children.

You can call SASSA at at 0800 601 011 for more information.

Article Category

Other Articles

West Coast TVET College has opened their Trimester 2 applications. The college provides you with an opportunity to make a career change with the skills you gain.

Applications for the 2021 Youth Capital Influencer Programme are open. Are you passionate about finding solutions to youth unemployment? You should join!

King Hinsta has opened up their applications for semester two and you can now apply. They offer a good range of sources from Business management to hospitality. Hurry up and apply as the applications close soon.

If you are a Unizulu student or a prospective student who requires funding, we might have the answers you need. We have all you need to know about NSFAS and who qualifies. 

Looking for a job is a tiresome process with some calling it a job all on it's own. 
Crafting a strategic CV is therefore essential. Boston City Campus gives you some insight into the science of getting a job and how to crack it.