NSFAS offers student loans and bursaries for students who qualify. Last year they approved more than 300 000 applications for funding - but they also rejected 65 000.
If your application is refused you can appeal to NSFAS to reconsider.
Appeals will close on 30 April.
How To Send In An Appeal
- Download an appeal form here
- Complete the form
- Ensure that the relevant box indicating the reason for your appeal is checked.
- Signed motivation for appeal must be included
- Attach your supporting documents (e.g. Medical certificates, death certificate etc.)
- Submit the completed form through email to the Financial Aid Office at your institution.
Alternatively, students can submit appeals directly to NSFAS, along with the required documentation, to [email protected].
Appeals will only be considered on the following grounds:
- Material change in combined household income (proof of loss of income needed with a fully completed NSFAS form for students that were not previously funded);
- Loss of a bursary/sponsor in the 2019 academic cycle (documented proof should be provided and should be accompanied by a fully completed NSFAS application form);
- Failure to meet academic criteria where prior academic performance has been satisfactory (provide supporting information and documentation that provides details of the reasons that affected performance);
- Failure to meet academic criteria due to medical condition (s) or death of an immediate family member (provide supporting information and documentation);
- Student had a gap year in NSFAS funding or failed to register previously and could not reapply for funding;
- More than one student from the same household concurrently enrolled at a university/TVET college; and
- Applying for an approved post graduate qualification (see section F on the appeal form for list).
Students are encouraged to log in on the myNSFAS self-service portal www.nsfas.org.za to check their application status updates.
How to track your NSFAS application status
- Login on the myNSFAS portal here
- Enter your username and password and sign in
- Click on Track Funding Progress
For those students that have been approved for funding, their status will now reflect as: ‘Approved for funding subject to registration’, and for those who have been rejected for funding, the status will reflect as ‘Application unsuccessful’.