NSFAS has opened their applications for the 2021 intake. To get funding for your 2021 academic year, apply to NSFAS now! NSFAS offers funding to University students as well as TVET College students in the form of a bursary. Getting funded by NSFAS does not only cover your tuition fees but will have you receive funding for other needs you have as a student.
What is NSFAS?
NSFAS is a government entity under the Department of Higher Education and Training which provides financial support to disadvantaged students who wish to further their studies at public universities or TVET colleges.
What does the bursary cover?
- Tuition Fees
- Accommodation As per the actual costs charged by the university (costs for private accommodation must not exceed costs for university residence)
- Transport (up to 40 km from institution) R7 500 per year
- Living allowance R15, 000 per year
- Book allowances R5200 per year
- Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per year for students in catered residences
TVET College Students
- Tuition Fees
- Urban area R24,000 per year
- Peri-urban area R18,900 per year
- Rural area R15,750 per year
- up to 40 km from institution R7,350 per year
- R7000 per year
- Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per year
Who qualifies for NSFAS funding?
- All South African citizens
- All SASSA grant recipients qualifies for funding
- Applicants whose combined household income is not more than R350 000 per year
- Person with disability: Combined household income must not be more than R600 000 per year
- Students who started studying before 2018 whose household income is not more than R122 000 per year.