Here Are The Students Who Are Not Allowed To Submit NSFAS Appeals


If you are a NSFAS funding applicant whose had their application rejected and are wondering if you should submit an appeal, here is a list of applicants who are not permitted to appeal their NSFAS application.


The National Student Financial Aids Scheme (NSFAS) has recently opened process appeals for students who may feel that their student funding application was rejected for unjustifiable reasons.

The appeals process is currently open until 3 March 2022, but not every student applicant will be permitted to lodge an appeal. Here are students who do not qualify for an appeal according to NSFAS.

  • Students who are registered for a qualification that NSFAS does not fund.
  • Students whose details on the appeal indicate that the student has disclosed different parent or legal guardian details to those disclosed in the application or if the student has now indicated that they are independent.
  • Students who have reached N+2 (or N+3) in the case of a student living with a disability)
  • A student is a gap year student who NSFAS previously declined to provide financial aid due to not meeting the academic eligibility criteria. The Institution has not submitted their registration record or submitted an incorrect registration record to NSFAS. Such queries must be directed to the institution.

Those who qualify for a NSFAS appeal application should do so using the myNSFAS Portal online using the steps listed below.

Here's how to appeal on myNSFAS:

  • Log into your “MyNSFAS" account on
  • Click the 'Track Funding Progress' option
  • Check the application progress tabs
  • If your application status reflects an unsuccessful message, you may submit an appeal by clicking on the 'Submit Appeal Tab'
  • Once you are on the 'Application Appeal' page, you can see the reason for your unsuccessful application status
  • You are then able to choose the appeal reason
  • Then upload certified supporting documents to support your reason
  • Then click 'Submit Appeal'
  • You may now track the progress of the appeal on your myNSFAS account.

Applicants must submit their NSFAS appeals within 30 days of seeing the 'unsuccessful' NSFAS application status.

It is also important for them to submit their appeal early to ensure that any additional documents required can be submitted on time.

Additionally, appeals with outstanding documents will be left open for 14 days, after which they will automatically be closed if the required documents are not provided.

At most, it usually takes 30 days for NSFAS to respond to appeals.




Other Articles

If you have completed your undergraduate degree in Business Management, you might want to consider registering for an Honours Degree programme. Below is a list of institutions that have an honours programme for Business Management.

Unemployment is one of South Africa’s greatest challenge with lack of education and training being considered the root of the cause. In an effort to overcome this challenge, Saab Grintek Defence has partnered with Sisekelo Institute of Business and Technology to launch a six-month Workplace Acceleration Programme to bridge the gap of young South Africans who have just completed tertiary school and are now entering the workplace.


Latest SASSA Articles

The Sassa Social Relief of Distress grant is being paid to all qualifying beneficiaries. If you are among those that have been meaning to apply for an appeal due to your rejected application status, here is the procedure on how to lodge an appeal for your declined R350 grant application.

Now that the National State of Disaster has ended, the Sassa R350 grant is managed under new rules. Here's how to submit your R350 grant application under these new rules.


Careers Advice

Do you have a Project Management interview coming up? Below is a list of Project Management interview questions that can help you prepare for your interview.

As students and their parents look ahead to 2023, it is both an exciting and nerve-wracking time. Will you be able to study or work towards a qualification? What are the options? If you can, how much will it cost, and can you afford it?