The Funza Lushaka bursary programme is designed to promote teaching as a profession in public schools. The bursary is a multi-year programme provided so that eligible students may complete a teaching qualification in an area recognised as priority.
This bursary is awarded for one academic year at a time and if you can show proof of academic success the bursary may be renewed each year until the recipient of the bursary has qualified as a teacher.
This means that the student is required to reapply for the renewal of the bursary every year.
The closing date for reapplication is 29 November 2021, so students already funded by the Funza Lushaka bursary are urged to reapply as soon as possible.
Here's how to re-apply to the Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme
- Open the e-Gov portal here.
- Register by providing personal information if you haven't registered yet
- Login to the system using user name and password created when registering
- On the e-Services Menu select Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme
- Enter the OTP received on the preferred channel
- Accept the Terms and Conditions
- On the dashboard menu click on the 2021 application button
- Follow the steps to complete the required field with your information
- Accept the declaration to confirm the information captured
The Funza Lushaka bursary covers the following:
- Tuition fees
- Accommodation including meals
- Books and learning materials
- A possible small allowance for monthly living expenses
They fund the following programmes:
- Bachelor of Education (BEd)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
The allocation of funds to any individual student is capped at a specific value. Where the Higher Education Institution charges more than the capped value the bursars will have to top up from their own funds. The cost structures at universities are different so the total value of the bursary will differ from institution to institution.
Recipients of these bursaries will be required to teach at a public school for the same number of years that they received the bursary.