How To Go About Registering For A Learnership

Monday, 24 September, 2018 - 08:14

A learnership is a learning programme which combine both classroom-based learning at a training centre or college (a theoretical component) and on-the-job training in a workplace (practical training). Learnerships are not limited to ‘trades’ and are available at different levels for different occupations. Learnerships are not geared only towards the youth.

How to go about registering for a learnership

You must be older than 16 and younger than 35 to be eligible for a learnership.

Unemployed South Africans can only participate in a learnership if there is an employer prepared to provide the required work experience.

Competency-based learning that allows the learner to move at their own pace.

Assessments through various stages of the learnership to ensure that a learner is able to perform tasks for which they have learned, as opposed to a single assessment at the end of the learning.

If successful in your completion of the programme you will be awarded a nationally recognised occupational qualification.

A learnership is a three party agreement, signed by the employer, training provider and the learner, registered with the Seta.

Therefore for you to participate in a learnership, an employer must be willing and able to provide the learnership.

Does a Learnership sound like the right training option for you? Here’s the procedure to follow…

…if you are a worker

Ask your supervisor, training or personnel manager or trade union representative if your employer offers learnerships. Find out what learnerships your employer offer and how you can apply. Discuss this with your supervisor. You should find out what –

  • will be asked of you; (e.g. will you have to study in the evenings?)
  • qualification you will get;
  • level the qualification will be;
  • kind of tests there will be;
  • happens if you fail; and whether
  • you will be able to cope with the classroom and practical work; and
  • there will be future promotion or training.

If your employer does not currently run any learnerships encourage them to start. There are many financial rewards for employers who start learnerships. They can get more information from the Department.

…if you are unemployed

  • Plan a career path Think about the kind of training and job you are looking for. In other words, if you like being outside, do not apply for an office-type of job.
  • Identify the learnership that supports the chosen career path
  • Find out as much information as possible about the learnership
  • Contact SETAs to find out which employers offer learnerships.
  • Enquire about the applicable criteria for entering a learnership
  • Find an employer willing to provide practical work experience
  • Register as a work-seeker at your nearest labour centre. This will help employers to find you if they want to start a learnership.
  • Draw up a CV that gives personal details such as:
    • your name and date of birth
    • education; school attended and qualifications
    • work experience; names of previous employers and what you did
    • other skills such as computer skills; whether you have a driver’s licence, etc.
    • referees (names and contact details of people who know you well in a work or study capacity).
  • Prepare for an interview. Think of the questions you may be asked. Practice with a friend.
  • Ask friends and family to look out for openings and watch adverts in newspapers.
  • Keep in contact with your labour centre and update your details when they change.

For more information contact your nearest government labour centre or the relevant SETA. 

A list of all the registered learnerships is also available on the Department of Labour’s website at

Adapted from information supplied on and

Article Category

Other Articles

If you plan on studying at the University of Venda you may be wondering whether NSFAS will fund your studies, well keep reading to find out.

Unisa is an open distance learning university which allows students to pursue their studies by using online resources and study materials provided by Unisa themself. They provide quality tertiary education which can be completed in a schedule chosen by the student.

Are you interested in representing your fellow peers at Red & Yellow? Well, now is your chance to apply for a seat on their Student Body. Allow your voice to be heard.

The Minister of Higher Education and Training has recently approved a few Unisa courses to be taught at TVET Colleges. To find out which courses will be offered, scroll down.

Once you've been approved to have your studies funded by NSFAS, there are requirements you'll need to keep up during your studies to ensure that you stay funded by NSFAS. Keep reading to learn more.