As a Senior Data Scientist your primary role will be to lead and participate in data science projects, solving a variety of use cases across the Group and for its customers. You will be an expert in employing and evolving data science tools and frameworks across on-prem and cloud big data infrastructure to assist the Insights team to unlock measurable value for the group. Together with a team of lead and senior data scientists you will develop our machine learning and deep learning competencies and will train and develop our junior data science resources.
• Engage with stakeholders to lead and support data science project delivery solving business problems or developing solutions
• Using mathematical, statistical and machine learning techniques to solve problems
• Programming solutions using data science programming languages (Python, R etc.)
• Executing end to end exploratory data analysis and product development processes
• Implementing visualization (Tableau, PowerBI), advanced analytics and data science solutions for customers
• Lead and develop a team of junior data scientists
• Strong support to the lead data scientist
• Contribute to our agile way of work and our innovation culture
• Post graduate degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering or a related field (NQF level 8); OR
• A qualified Actuary with data science experience.
• A Masters degree (NQF level 9) will be an advantage.
• 5-7 years relevant experience, at least 2 years of which must have been in a data science environment. 2 years of the above experience must have been in a management or supervisory role. Experience in ICT will be an advantage.
• Strong statistical & mathematical foundations.
• Work with the data management team to retrieve data from source
• Guide most appropriate data science tools and/or approaches for specific projects
• Contribute to our ML/DL codebase through reusable modules
• Developing & peer reviewing code
• Building best practice standards
• Statistical foundations; Mathematical foundations; Data science and analytics frameworks; Programming experience (Python, R, Git, Linux);
• Cloud computing experience (GCP preferable); Big Data (preferably Hadoop, PySpark)
• Coding capability (specifically Python, R, Git, Linux)
• Cloud computing (GCP preferable)
• Machine learning;
• Research & development ability