The FunDza Literacy Trust is an internationally and nationally recognised non-profit organisation focused on getting teens and young adults across South Africa reading and writing for pleasure. FunDza has an online reading platform that publishes a diverse range of local content relevant to its readership. It focuses on supporting and developing new and emerging writers. Its online platform reaches ±300,000 unique users monthly and it is constantly looking at new ways to grow this user base and deepen its impact.
Based in Cape Town, FunDza seeks to appoint an
The Executive Director will continue to grow FunDza as a sustainable, vibrant organisation that is a leader in the literacy field in the country. The role has special responsibilities that include: setting the strategy for the organisation, building solid relationships with stakeholders, operating with integrity and transparency and ensuring longevity through income generation. The role of the Executive Director is to focus on external relations and on growing the organisation to fulfil the core mandate of FunDza: to improve the literacy levels of young South Africans through programmes that ignite a love of reading and develop writing talent using the power and reach of technology.
Key responsibilities include:
• Strategic Direction: Ensuring the organisation acts in accordance with the purpose of the organisation. Setting the trust’s strategy and determining the focus and scope of the outreach programmes, including the use of technology to broaden reach and impact. Providing the board of trustees with regular feedback on the trust’s progress.
• Fundraising and Resource Planning: Generating income for the organisation from grant funding and alternative revenue sources. Fostering good relationships with all stakeholders to ensure sustainability.
• Accountability: Creating and managing the trust budget and finances effectively.
• Monitoring: Ensuring the organisation adheres to best international governance and ethical practice. Maintaining and managing effective systems.
• Public Representation: Representing the organisation and marketing it to a wide variety of beneficiaries, associates, professionals, stakeholders and other interested parties. Presenting FunDza as a highly professional organisation.
• Leadership: Leading the trust and its employees so that it can reach its programmatic targets, and managing the directorship role according to the vision, objectives and functions of the organisation.
• A relevant post-graduate qualification e.g. Education, Development Studies, Business Administration, etc
• At least 5 years senior management experience – preferably in running an organisation or a large programme
• Strong management skills, developed from executive experience of other organisations, with demonstrable evidence of results
• Knowledge, skills and experience in networking with NGOs and raising funding
• A solid understanding of technology and experience in harnessing it for social good
• A love of reading and writing – a background in education would be an advantage
• Solid experience in leading and implementing transformational organisational change and a track record of leadership that motivates, empowers and is inclusive
• Excellent English language skills and knowledge of other African languages is advantageous
• Ability to work well in a small team, and to manage others with sensitivity and assurance
• A driver’s licence with own transport
This appointment will be made in line with our employment equity strategy.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Friday 20th August 2021