The Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA) is a Sector Education and Training Authority (SETA) that facilitates skills development under the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) and supports mine health and safety under the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE) for the mining and minerals sector under Skills Development Act (SDA) 97 of 1998 and Mine Health and Safety Act (MHSA) 29 of 1996, respectively. The MQA requires the services of the Chief Financial Officer to fill the under mentioned position on a fixed-term contract until the 31st of March 2025 (renewal not precluded). The position is located at the MQA Head Office, in Parktown, JHB (Gauteng).
The CFO will be tasked with, amongst others, providing both strategic and tactical support on matters relating to budget management, cost benefit analysis, forecasting needs and financial reporting. The CFO will also have oversight of the Finance, Supply Chain Management (SCM), Information Technology (IT) Units and strategic projects and provide programmatic support of key contracts.
This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
Transformation and Strategic Planning:
• Provide financial inputs into the strategic planning process and guidance on the alignment of organisational goals.
• Ensure the achievement of transformation deliverables in line with procurement of goods and services.
• Develop and oversee the implementation of financial, SCM and IT policies.
• Assist in formulating the company's future direction.
Risk and Compliance Management:
• Ensure the provision of a sound financial management within the organisation.
• Oversee the implementation of compliance to all Finance, SCM and IT policies in line with legislation and best practice.
• Oversee the management of financial aspects of all company transactions including contracts.
• Ensure the approval of all agreements concerning financial obligations, such as contracts for raw materials, IT assets, and services.
• Identify strategic and operational risks and ensure mitigation of such risks.
• Report to the Audit and Risk Committee and the Board on the strategic and operational risks.
Budgeting, Expenditure and Financial Management:
• Overseeing the budget process, collecting the inputs, and comparing the company’s actual performance with the approved budget.
• Establish and maintain lines of communication with investment bankers, financial analysts, and shareholders.
• Ensure that the budget is developed and that it is aligned to the business plan.
• Drive the budgeting and the business planning processes.
• Manage all costs in line with budget.
• Investigate and action any items of over expenditure.
• Review the monthly expenditure and explain and / or action all areas of discrepancy.
• Ensure accuracy and completeness of financial information for effective decision making.
• Conduct meaningful proactive analysis to improve key business decisions focusing on management of the budget.
• Oversee the management of revenue and ensure timeous preparation of reconciliations and relevant financial data.
• Oversee the safeguarding and management of company assets.
• Oversee the management of contracts, statutory & tax obligations, liabilities in the form of contingencies and insurance.
• Ensure value for money for the insurance of all assets and directors.
Management of Organisational Systems:
• Oversee the implementation of IT operational plan and the strategic projects to support the organisation.
• Oversee the implementation of quality systems management models.
Supply Chain Management:
• Oversee the implementation of SCM plans and sourcing of goods and services.
• Ensure minimization of costs and elimination of fruitless expenditure.
Organisational Performance Management:
• Facilitate and oversee the implementation of the organisational performance.
• Oversee the implementation of the performance management system and the succession planning.
• A relevant post-graduate degree or equivalent at a NQF 8 level in the fields of accounting, finance and/or commerce.
• A CIMA or CA (SA) Qualification. An MBA, MBL, MCom or an equivalent NQF Level 9 qualification in the abovementioned fields will be an added advantage.
• Minimum of 10 years financial management and accounting experience, of which 5 years at senior level in a similar environment is preferred.
• Engagement with Board and/or Senior Public Servants and experience in the SETA environment will be advantageous.
• Sound knowledge of the relevant legislation and regulations that govern the financial operations of a SETA.
• In depth knowledge of financial management and GRAP principles of financial Accounting.
• Understand current issues and challenges facing skills development and SETAs across SA.
• Knowledge of Government Policies and Procedures
• Knowledge and Understanding of the PFMA, Treasury Regulations, SDLA etc.
• Knowledge of Organisational Management
• Knowledge of Fund raising and financing solutions.
• Experience in Leadership and Management of Finance department.
• Organization remains financially viable and governed.
• Strategic and financial Capability.
• Manage and motivate employees.
• Strong analytical and technical abilities
• Results orientated.
• Stakeholder orientation.
• Emotional intelligence
• Situational sensitivity
• People orientation.
The candidate should also be willing to: Work under pressure inclusive of longer than normal office hours if required • Work with internal and external stakeholders •Travel away from home if required • Engage in a lifelong learning process relative to the context of the workplace. The successful candidate will be required to sign a performance agreement in terms of MQA Performance Management Policy.
The MQA is an Equal Opportunity Employer; therefore, the filling of the position will be in line with its Employment Equity Plan. Recommended candidates will be expected to undergo a professional competency assessment and vetting processes. Successful applicant will be required to disclose their financial interest. The MQA reserves the right not to appoint any person for this position.
Closing Date: 19 October 2021 No late applications will be considered. Interested candidates should submit their applications which shall consist of a Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae, Certified Copies of their Qualifications, a valid Drivers’ Licence and valid Proof of Identification