Unisa offers three variations of their Bachelor of Education (BEd) degree as the basic teaching qualification that will enable you to qualify as a professional teacher.
- BEd in Foundation Phase Teaching (Grade R-Grade 3)
- BEd in Intermediate Phase Teaching (Grades 4-7)
- BEd in Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching (Grades 7-12).
These are the admission requirements for the qualification depending on which post-school qualification you may possess.
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) (Degree endorsement) with at least 50% in the language of teaching and learning and at least 40% in Mathematics or 50% in Mathematical Literacy.
- Senior Certificate (SC) with matriculation exemption or qualify for the exemption from the Matriculation Board with at least a D symbol on HG or a C symbol on SG in the language of teaching and learning and with at least an F symbol on HG or an E symbol on SG in Mathematics.
- Another option is a National Certificate Vocational (NCV) level 4 with at least 60% in three fundamental subjects including the language of teaching and learning; 70% in four vocational subjects chosen from the NCV level 4 subjects.
Additionally, subjects under the following categories are approved as eligible for a BEd degree: All official languages at First Additional Language level, Agriculture and Nature Conservation, Business, Commerce and Management Sciences Services, Education, Training and Development, Mathematics and Natural Science.