How Invigilation of Unisa's Online Exams Works
The examination period is quickly approaching and if you are a Unisa student then you may be interested to know how the invigilation of your online exams will work. Keep reading to find out.
The University of South Africa (UNISA) is an open distance e-learning university which means that most of the academic activity takes place online. The university's online examinations which are running from September to December of 2021 will be invigilated.
Unisa students will be required to familiarize themselves with the online exam invigilation process.
In order to prepare for their examinations, Unisa has stated that students must do the following with regards to invigilation:
- Check if your module is invigilated on Access the List of Invigilated Modules
- Determine which invigilation tool will be used for your module.
- Watch training videos and refer invigilation guidelines as part of your preparations for your online examinations.
- Complete the mock exams included in the invigilation guidelines
- Watch the training videos on invigilation which are circulated by the university.
The apps which are used to invigilate students online exams at Unisa are called the INVIGILATOR APP and IRIS Invigilation.
How To Set Up the Invigilator App
- Download the app from the app store on your phone. (Make sure that your phone's operating system is updated so that the app can function properly and can be downloaded)
- Once you have opened the App, click "Register as a student"
- Fill in the required, using your UNISA email address and creating a password.
- Then click "SIGN UP".
- Verify your account by following the steps provided.
- Then you are required to do Calibration on the app, this is so that the invigilator will have access to your microphone and camera when you are writing your online exam.
- You will be asked to take a "Master Selfie" on the app which shows your entire face.
- Once you have done this you can Login by using your email address and password that you provided when you signed up.
The Invigilator App has provided a student user guide on how to go through the process of setting up the App and has also included a section on how students can do a demo test in preparation for their online exams.
Students can check if the Invigilator App will be used for a particular module using the following link: https://invigilatorapp.herokuapp.com/module_lookup
How To Set Up IRIS Invigilation
- Go to Google Chrome on your computer, that you will use for your online exam.
- Search for the Chrome Web Store.
- Once you've clicked on the Chrome Web Store.you can search for IRIS.
- Click on IRIS in results.
- Click "Add to Chrome" once you have found IRIS.
- Click on Add extension
- Pin IRIS to your taskbar in Chrome.
The IRIS Invigilator will record the student writing the online exam using the computer's front camera and the microphone. It will also take a screenshot of whatever is showing on your computer screen every few seconds.
Students can find all the information related to preparation for IRIS in the IRIS Exam Prep Document.
Unisa has stated that if a student does not make use of the invigilation tools, it will be regarded as a transgression of the examination rules and they will face disciplinary processes.
Shakeerah, from Careers Portal, sits down with Min'entle from The Knowledge Trust, to talk about their new WhatsApp Expo! This is the world's first ever WhatsApp Expo and is a 3-month experience covering Guidance, Education, and Employment.
Most popular articles today
From fighting for education to providing it, youngest Nobel Peace Prize winner and activist, Malala Yousafzai, was sharing her wisdom and knowledge with regular folk by offering a free course.
Other people were also interested in:
Have you always wanted to join the South African Navy? A career in the South African Navy is a life-changing opportunity.