Unisa is a typically preferred university for students who may need a more flexible study programme, such as students with full-time jobs, as a majority of Unisa students participate on a part-time basis. To furthermore support students who require the sort of flexibility that Unisa provides, the university also offers relevant short courses.
To enrol in one of the short-courses offered at Unisa, the following should be considered during application:
- Applications for each short learning programme are only available online
- A maximum of two short programmes are to be selected in order of preference for prospective students
- Students shall receive a response regarding the outcome of their application by January or February of the year that they have enrolled for and will be expected to accept or decline an offer of admission during a stipulated time period. Failure to respond during that time period, will result in the university revoking the offer.
To submit an official application to the university, the following documents are required:
- A copy of school qualifications prior to enrolling at Unisa (i.e. National Senior Certificate, Bachelor’s Degree, etc.)
- Copy of official tertiary academic records (if applicable)
- Copy of ID (South African citizens)/Passport (international students)
- Copy of marriage or divorce certificate (if applicable)
- All documents are to be translated into either Afrikaans or English
To complete the application process, the following must be done:
- Visit www.unisa.ac.za and click “apply”
- Click on “Short Learning Programmes” and then “Apply for admission”
- Click “Apply Online” for the short learning programmes
- Complete the prompt that asks whether you have a student number yet or not
- Thereafter, you can begin filling in personal details, selecting your courses for application and uploading your documents.
- Once done, submit your online application and await a response. Do note that short learning programmes do not require an application fee.
The short courses that are available include a long list which can be found by clicking here. Here are just a few of the courses on offer:
- Biblical studies for Christian Leaders
- African Political Economy
- Basic Counselling
- Basics of Project Management
- Accounting for School Governance
- Environmental Education
- International Marketing
- Personal Financial Management
- Mathematics Education
- Public Relations
- Practical Labour Law
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- Sport Psychology