How To Get A Job In Marketing
A job in Marketing entails promoting the buying or selling of a product or service. Are you thinking of building a career in Marketing? Here's what you need to know.
Doing work in the Marketing field is a riveting career choice and offers many opportunities in South Africa.
Here's all you need to know about becoming a welder.
What is Marketing about?
Marketing is a career that refers to activities a company undertakes to promote the buying or selling of a product or service.
What are the working conditions in the Marketing industry?
Most marketing professionals work in an office environment. They typically have their own offices, but they may attend meetings or events often. Some may work in a variety of locations and need to travel frequently to attend networking events, product launches or exhibitions.
They usually work office hours, but during busy periods may be required to work overtime or even during weekends.
What skills and abilities are required for a career in Marketing?
- Must be technology-savvy
- Be a confident public speaker
- Good networking ability
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Time management and good teamwork
- Be creative
- Good computer skills to produce and record information
What are the duties and tasks performed in the Marketing industry?
- Advertise and promote new products and services on social media, newspapers, television or radio stations
- Research needs of customers and develop products
- Determine pricing, packaging, sales, promotions and distribution
- Guide consumers on products and brands
- Develop marketing plans and strategies to effectively promote products or services
What should I do if I want to study Marketing?
- Contact your nearest TVET College to enquire about the entrance requirements to do the Marketing course
- Visit marketers or marketing businesses to gain more knowledge about the field and what it entails
- Contact DHET Career Development Services to provide you with free quality career information, advice and counselling services on 086 999 0123 or e-mail: email@example.com
- Go for an aptitude test to help understand if a career in Marketing is for you
- Attend Career Exhibitions in your area to liaise with higher learning institutions and obtain application forms
Where can I study to get a job in Marketing?
TVET Colleges offer courses to build a career in Marketing. Through these programmes, you can develop the skills you need and become qualified.
Some Universities also offer Marketing qualifications such as Unisa, the Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Wits, University of Pretoria, University of Johannesburg and Stellenbosch University.
Private colleges such as IMM Graduate Business School, Red & Yellow School, Boston City Campus, Vega, Varsity College and Rosebank College are places where you can study Marketing.
You will also find a range of Marketing short courses from places like GetSmarter, Udemy, Alison and the like.
What are the minimum entry requirements to study Marketing?
At a TVET College, the entrance requirements for the Marketing course are:
- A Grade 9 Certificate + college requirements set per programme.
- Grade 12 Certificate + college requirements set per programme; OR an NC(V) Level 4 Certificate in Marketing.
At a University, the entrance requirements for the Marketing course are:
- Code 5 in Grade 12 English Home Language OR First Additional Language
- Code 5 in Grade 12 Mathematics
- APS score of 39+
Most popular articles today
Lyceum’s 104 year legacy is a testament to the quality programmes that they offer. Their lifetime commitment is to successfully equip students with accredited distance education for the professional world.
There are a variety of responses you could see once you do a SASSA R350 grant application status check. One of these could be 'Reapplication Pending' and you might be needing further clarification about what this means, we're here to help.
Other people were also interested in:
The AAA School of Advertising will be hosting its Open Day. Individuals have to rsvp to register your attendance at the AAA School of Advertising open day.
Gauteng Department of Education has announced that the online applications for 2022 is now open and will close soon. This year's applications for Gauteng school admissions will be done in phases.