How To Become A Millwright
If you're interested in installing and maintaining heavy machinery used in industry, sounds like you should consider a career being a Millwright. Becoming a Millwright is a riveting career choice and offers many opportunities in South Africa. Here's what you need to know.
Are you thinking of becoming a Millwright? Here's all you need to know about becoming one.
What does a Millwright do?
A Millwright or electromechanician is a highly skilled tradesman who installs and maintains heavy machinery used in industry. They perform maintenance work on production machines, electrically-driven machines and electronic control gear. Millwrights are highly sought-after in industry because their work is both mechanical and electrical.
What are the working conditions of a Millwright?
A Millwright works both indoors and outdoors. Indoor work sites may not have air conditioning or heating. They must often get into awkward positions to reach cramped work spaces. They are also often exposed to high places, such as working on scaffolding. A Millwright has to wear protective clothing and gear, such as hardhats, gloves, and work boots, on a daily basis.
What are the duties and tasks of a Millwright?
- Installing, maintaining, and repairing industrial machinery and equipment
- Maintaining and repairing all electrical, electronic and mechanical plant equipment
- Using specialised tools, such as welders or hydraulic bolters, they align and replace a machine’s individual parts
- Transferring machines to several sites, either to install or repair them
- Fault-finding on AC & DC motor circuits
- Designing and installing Electrical Wire Ways
What skills and abilities are required to become a Millwright?
- Strong communication and computer skills
- Availability to travel regularly to different sites
- An eye for detail
- Good numeracy skills to take accurate measurements using precision instruments
- Good time management
- Good team worker to solve problems by bringing others together to work through differences
What should I do if I want to study to become a Millwright?
- Contact your nearest institution to enquire about the entrance requirements to do the Millwright course
- Visit Millwrights to gain more knowledge about the field and what it entails
- Contact DHET Career Development Services to provide you with free quality career information, advice and counselling services on 086 999 0123 or e-mail: email@example.com
- Go for an aptitude test to help understand if a career being a Millwright is for you
- Attend Career Exhibitions in your area to liaise with higher learning institutions and obtain application forms
Where can I study to get a job as a Millwright?
TVET Colleges offer courses to build a career to become a Millwright. Through these programmes, you can develop the skills you need and become qualified.
What are the minimum entry requirements to study Millwright at a TVET College?
- A Grade 9 Certificate + college requirements set per programme.
- N1 admission – Grade 9 Certificate + college requirements set per programme.
- N4 admission - Grade 12 with a pass in Mathematics + college requirements set per programme OR an NC(V) Level 4 Certificate in Electrical Infrastructure Construction.
Most popular articles today
Lyceum’s 104 year legacy is a testament to the quality programmes that they offer. Their lifetime commitment is to successfully equip students with accredited distance education for the professional world.
There are a variety of responses you could see once you do a SASSA R350 grant application status check. One of these could be 'Reapplication Pending' and you might be needing further clarification about what this means, we're here to help.
Other people were also interested in:
The AAA School of Advertising will be hosting its Open Day. Individuals have to rsvp to register your attendance at the AAA School of Advertising open day.
Gauteng Department of Education has announced that the online applications for 2022 is now open and will close soon. This year's applications for Gauteng school admissions will be done in phases.