The Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) is an education qualification in the teaching sector. The Funza Lushaka Bursary focuses on students who are doing an education qualification at a higher learning institution.
The University of South Africa, also known as Unisa, is a recognized higher learning institution under the Department of Higher Education and Training, therefore doing PGCE at Unisa would be funded by the Funza Bursary.
The Department of Basic Education established the Funza Lushaka program in order to fund the disadvantaged students who wanted to study a professional in education.
There are two types of Funza Lushaka Bursary Qualifications. These are Undergraduate Studies and Graduate Studies.
This covers a 4-year Bachelor of Education degree (B Ed), specializing in Foundation Phase (Grade R – 3), Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 – 6), Senior Phase (Grade 7 – 9) and FET Phase (Grade 10-12).
This covers a 1-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE). Combined qualifications are also acceptable such as combine specialization in the Foundation Phase (Grade R – 3) and Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 – 6), or the Intermediate Phase and Senior Phase, or the Senior Phase (Grade 7 – 9) and FET Phase (Grade 10 –12).
In order to qualify for Funza Lushaka Bursary, you have to meet the following requirements:
- You must be a South African Citizens at 30 years of age and under.
- Applicants who want to complete a teaching degree or want to become teachers (Post graduate Certificate in Education and have already been accepted at an accredited public University.
- Applicants who want to make a career change and become teachers, show dedication and passion for a professional career in teaching, display interest in working with young people, are ready to face and handle difficult challenges and have personal integrity.
- Applicants should have good academic performance.
- Spouses and Children of applicants of Higher Education Institution employees are not eligible.
- Two of the priority area subjects must be included as a specialization in the teaching qualification.
For more information about the Funza Lushaka Bursary, click here.