NSFAS: How to Access Your Travel Allowance

Wednesday, 7 April, 2021 - 10:50
Saarah Richards

Staying at home students who are are funded by NSFAS, qualify for travel allowance. Here is how you can access that allowance and see whether or not you qualify for the travel allowance.



The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS), provides students with a number of different living allowances, including travel allowance for students who live off campus. 

The travel allowance is R7 500 per year over 10 months (February - November). This is only up to 40km from the institution. 

Different institutions have different method of applying for the NSFAS travel allowance, so if you require a travel allowance visit your institutions financial aid office and request a form for travel allowance, or visit your institutions website. 

There are certain documents that a required when submitting an application for travel allowance. The documents you need are:

  • Proof of address (not older than three months)
  • Certified copy of your ID
  • Copy of student card

These documents may vary with different institutions. 

Only once approved by your university or college will you receive your first travel allowance. This will be received during the first week of the following month, and you will receive it monthly from then on. 

Note that you will not qualify for NSFAS travel allowance, if you already qualify for NSFAS private accommodation allowance. 

The allowance does not vary depending on the students address.

For more information on the NSFAS bursary, click here

Article Category

Other Articles

A Diploma in Grade R Teaching is the minimum qualification for Grade R teachers. The purpose of the Diploma in Grade R Teaching is to develop teachers who can demonstrate general principles, as well as focused knowledge and skills appropriate for Grade R teaching.

At Nedbank, they offer the following solutions through our frontline clusters, Nedbank Corporate and Investment Banking, Nedbank Retail and Business Banking, Nedbank Wealth and Nedbank Africa Regions:

  • A wide range of wholesale and retail banking services.
  • A growing insurance, asset management and wealth management offering. 

A social grant refers to grants paid by government to South African citizens who are in need of assistance. In South Africa, social grants are administered by the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA). Social grants are in place to help improve standards of living in society and are given to people who are vulnerable to poverty and in need of state support.

SARS eFiling is a free, online process for the submission of returns and declarations and other related services.
This free service allows taxpayers, tax practitioners and businesses to register free of charge and submit returns and declarations, make payments and perform a number of other interactions with SARS in a secure online environment.