How Much Does NSFAS Give For Allowances?

Attending a university or college comes with many monthly expenses, which is why NSFAS provides their students with monthly allowances to help with those costs.


Besides tuition fees, many costs are associated with studying at a university or TVET college, such as paying for books, stationery, food and toiletries.

NSFAS has helped its students by introducing an allowance system which covers most of these extra costs.

Students who qualify for a government bursary will be eligible to receive funding for study-related expenses known as a student allowance.

NSFAS beneficiaries are provided with a student allowance monthly, which usually begin when academic activities resume. These allowances are paid in cash, either directly to the student via NSFAS Wallet or via the institution to the student.

Allowances are subject to annual increases determined by the Consumer Price Index (CPI). Students are funded according to their specific university needs and expenses. 

According to the NSFAS website, the following allowances are included in the bursary:


  • Accommodation: amount is the actual cost charged by the university. If private, the cost must not exceed costs for university residence.
  • Transport: R7 500 per year (up to 40 km from the institution)
  • Living allowance: R15 000 per year
  • Book allowance: R5200 per year (only applies at universities)
  • Personal Care allowance: R2900 per year


  • Accommodation:
    • in an urban area - R24 000 per year
    • in the peri-urban area - R18 900 per year
    • in a rural area - R15 750 per year
  • Transport: R7 350 (up to 40 km from the institution)
  • Personal Care allowance: R2 900 per year

The personal care allowance was recently introduced to assist students in paying for toiletries.

For more information about NSFAS, visit their website.

Article Category

Other Articles

The National Student Financial Aid Scheme, better known as NSFAS, operates as a public institution that funds public university and college students who come from low-income households. If you are curious as to whether NSFAS funding covers Regent Business School fees, read further.

Did you not pass or complete your matric? Now you have the opportunity to do so. College SA now offers the Amended Senior Certificate programme. The Amended Senior Certificate is the equivalent to the National Senior Certificate (NSC) also known as matric.

Are you interested in getting your matric certificate? Regardless of your age, getting your matric as an adult doesn’t have to be a long, difficult process. Skills Academy Adult Matric Courses aim to help you achieve your study goals.

Distance Learning allows your to study on your own time, at the place and pace you choose. You can study from anywhere, at any time, working at your own pace. Some courses will require you to go and write exams at designated exam hall locations and others don't. 

Online learning has always been a worthy alternative for prospective students who have other career commitments but are still interested in furthering their studies. Below is a list of registered colleges through which one can study online.