Does NSFAS Fund UP Students?
Are you looking to study or you are studying at the University of Pretoria, and you're wondering if you will qualify to receive funding from NSFAS, you've come to the right place as we have the answers you need.
The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) issues bursaries through a government bursary scheme which sees them issuing funding to underprivileged students who want to study at universities or TVET colleges.
You might be asking, do they fund the University of Pretoria (UP)?
The answer? Yes, they do.
NSFAS funds those students who plan to attend or are attending one of the country's 26 public Universities and UP is one of them.
UP students get the following allowances:
- Once off book allowance for textbooks and other learning materials which usually is up to R5200 per year
- Meal allowance usually comes to R15 000 paid over a 10 month period
- Travel allowance for students staying at home are usually R7500 paid over 10 months
- Accommodation allowance, for students staying at UP Privately Owned Student Accommodation is given at usually up to R40 000 and is paid over 10 months
NSFAS Requirements for funding:
- Must be a South African citizen
- Financial constraints which doesn't allow you to fund your own studies such as:
- Having a combined household income that's under R350 000 per year
- You have a disability and your combines annual household income is less than R600 000
- You are a SASSA grant recipient
- Must be applying to get a formal qualification from a public university or TVET College
- You passed grade 12
West Coast TVET College has opened their Trimester 2 applications. The college provides you with an opportunity to make a career change with the skills you gain.
King Hinsta has opened up their applications for semester two and you can now apply. They offer a good range of sources from Business management to hospitality. Hurry up and apply as the applications close soon.
Most popular articles today
Civil society groups are now calling government's termination of the R350 grant 'unjust' and have called for government to extend the grant until the Basic Income Grant is implemented. The #PayTheGrants campaign has said that citizens have the right to these grants.
WeThinkCode_ calls for applications from candidates in Kwa-Zulu Natal for its software programme that kicks off in July 2021. This comes after the opening of the academy’s Durban campus. They have 100 fully funded courses available.
Other people were also interested in:
Are you in Matric? Looking to study further in 2022? Institutions of higher learning applications start opening from May 2021 to study in 2022.
A gap year is typically known as a sabbatical year that is usually taken by students after high school. The aim of taking a gap year is to provide students to discover themselves and decide what type of education and career pathway they wish to pursue. A gap year is a way of getting students to step out of their comfort zones away from their familiar surroundings into a new environment.
SASSA has discovered a high number of temporary disability grant holders in the Western Cape. They are conducting research with The University of Cape Town, to understand the reason behind the abnormally high numbers.
Are you a TVET College students doing Trimester or Semester Study? Need financial assistance? NSFAS Applications for Trimester and Semester Study are open so apply now.