Who Qualifies For SASSA's Care Dependency Grant?

Please share this article


Do you want to apply for the SASSA Care Dependency grant but you're not sure whether you qualify? Keep reading to find out if you're eligible for the SASSA Care Dependency grant 


The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) provides financial assistance in the form of social grants to South Africans who are vulnerable to poverty. One of these grants is the Care Dependency grant. 

The Care Dependency is for those people who take care of a child who has a severe disability and is in need of full-time and special care. 

The requirements to qualify for this grant are:

  • The applicant must be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee.
  • The applicant and child must be resident in South Africa.
  • Child must be under the age of 18 years.
  • The applicant must submit a medical / assessment report confirming permanent, severe disability.
  • The applicant and spouse must meet the requirements of the means test (except for foster parents.
  • The care-dependent child/children must not be permanently cared for in a State Institution.
  • not earn more than R223 200 a year if you are single. Your combined income should not be above R446 400  a year if you are married. (This income limit does not apply to foster parents). 

Those who qualify for this grant will receive an amount of R1890 per month.

When you apply for the SASSA Care Dependency grant you will need to take the following with you to the SASSA Offices: 

  • your 13-digit bar-coded identity document (ID) and birth certificate. If you don't have an ID or birth certificate:
    • Complete an affidavit on a standard SASSA format in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not a SASSA official.
    • Bring a sworn statement signed by a reputable person (such as a councillor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion or school principal) who can verify your name and age.
    • The SASSA official will take your fingerprints and refer you to the Department of Home Affairs to apply for the ID while your application is processed. If you don’t get an ID, your grant will be suspended.
    • Proof that you have applied for an ID and/or birth certificate at the Department of Home Affairs
    • A temporary ID issued by the Department of Home Affairs (if applicable).
    • Baptismal certificate if available.
    • Road to health clinic card if available.
    • School report if available.
  • A medical/assessment report that confirms the child’s disability.
  • Proof of your marital status.
  • Your salary slip, bank statements for the previous three months, or pension slips, and any other proof of income. (Note: this does not apply to refugee foster parents.) 
  • If you are:
    • not the child's parent, proof that you are the child’s primary caregiver through an affidavit from a police official, a social worker’s report, an affidavit from the biological parent or a letter from the school principal from the school attended by the child 
    • the biological parent of the child and the sole provider and caregiver, proof that you have tried to get the other parent to pay maintenance
    • unemployed, proof from the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) or a discharge certificate from your previous employer
    • a refugee foster parent, refugee status permit and refugee ID 
    • the child’s foster parent, the court order placing the child in your care.
    • Please note: If you are too old or sick to travel to the office to apply, a family member or friend can apply on your behalf. The person should take a letter from you and/or a doctor's note saying why you cannot visit the office.

Visit the SASSA website here to know more about SASSA's Care Dependency Grant.

Online Shopping Links

Takealot - Temu - Amazon - Shein


WhatsApp Channel

Sponsored Ad



Google News

Post-Matric Options


After completing your matric certificate exams, you are faced with a lot of post-matric options that can shape your future paths.

These options range from pursuing higher education at universities or colleges, entering vocational training programs, joining the workforce, or even starting your own business. There are so many choices but we are here to help.


Where to Study

Advertisement m

Other Articles

Do you still have hopes of studying further in 2024? Well fortunately applications have opened at Tshwane South TVET College for their second semester! 


Latest SASSA articles

Millions of people have applied for the SRD grant. However, some people who applied for the R370 Sassa grant will be required to complete the Sassa facial recognition process. 

Conducting a SRD grant status check informs applicants if and when they will receive an SRD grant payment. Here's how to check your Sassa SRD grant payment status.


Careers Advice

For those on the job hunt, your CV is more than just a document. It represents a ticket to your next career milestone.

Advertisement i