How NSFAS Works If You Transfer From TVET College To University

Please share this article


More than one million students are reliant on the bursaries provided by NSFAS to fund their tertiary education qualification. But what happens when students transfer to a different institution?

Advertisement i

The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) provides comprehensive bursaries and student loans to deserving students. These students must be registered in an approved course at a public university or Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) colleges

NSFAS funding includes the money for tuition and registration fees. They also include several NSFAS allowances for students that aim to cover the costs students will incur during their quest to obtain a tertiary education qualification. 

Whether you are benefitting from a NSFAS bursary or a NSFAS missing middle student loan, many of the rules remain the same. This includes the actions students must take if they transfer from a TVET college to a university or vice versa. 

How NSFAS Works If You Transfer From TVET College To University

Students who transfer from a TVET college to a university or vice versa are referred to as continuing students. 

A continuing student is defined as a previously supported by NSFAS in the last academic term, currently enrolled in an accredited program at an institution and remains eligible both financially and academically, excluding those progressing through academic pathways, attaining their first undergraduate degree, or transitioning between institution types (e.g., from a TVET College to a University or vice versa).

This has been differentiated from a returning student, who is a senior student and was not funded by the NSFAS in the immediate prior academic term and needs to re-apply for funding.

Due to them falling into the continuing student category, they will need to really for NSFAS funding. 

Students who change institution types (i.e., shift from TVET College to University or vice versa) must re-apply for funding

It's important a student can only be funded for one qualification at one institution at any one time. Students can't be funded for two courses at the same time. NSFAS will also only fund a students first qualification. 


Suggested Article:

nsfas office

The National Student Financial Aid Scheme aims to grant access to higher education through a NSFAS bursary or a NSFAS loan. One question that has popped up is: will NSFAS fund me if I received a Higher Certificate and want to pursue a degree?

Online Shopping Links

Takealot - Temu - Amazon - Shein


WhatsApp Channel

Sponsored Ad



Google News

Post-Matric Options


After completing your matric certificate exams, you are faced with a lot of post-matric options that can shape your future paths.

These options range from pursuing higher education at universities or colleges, entering vocational training programs, joining the workforce, or even starting your own business. There are so many choices but we are here to help.


Where to Study

Advertisement m

Other Articles

Over the past few weeks, thousands of Grade 11 and Matric students were informed that they did not receive an offer to study at a Public University. Every year, only a fraction of applicants are successful, which severely impacts the future plans of these students and their parents, who do not know what their further options are.  


Latest SASSA articles

Sassa revealed that individuals can submit Sassa grant applications online. Here's everything you need to know about Sassa online grant applications. 

Millions of people living in South Africa are unemployed. These people can apply for the R370 grant in June 2024. 


Careers Advice

Everyone is spending so much time online these days - which has lead to Digital Marketing growing into a big business. Working in Digital Marketing promises a long and profitable career but what exactly does a Digital Marketer do? And how do you get into Digital Marketing?

Advertisement i