The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) administers millions of grants each month to those needing financial assistance. If you qualify for one of Sassa's social grants and would like to apply, you can simply submit an application, either online or in person.
How To Apply For A Sassa Grant In Person
First, you will need to visit the South African Government website and select the grant you wish to apply for. Read the instructions and ensure that you meet all necessary criteria to qualify for that particular grant, otherwise your application may be rejected.
Once you have made sure that you meet the eligibility criteria, you can follow the steps below.
- Visit your nearest Sassa branch.
- Take your Identity Document and other relevant documentation with you (required documents are stipulated on the website and will vary depending on which grant you're applying for).
- Complete the application in the presence of a Sassa official. Please note that only you as the applicant will be allowed to complete the application form.
- Once you have completed the form you will receive a receipt. You will need to keep this as proof that you have applied.
If you have any trouble completing your application form, a Sassa official will be able to assist you at the Sassa office.
How To Apply For A Sassa Grant Online
- Visit the Sassa Services website on any device with a stable internet connection.
- Register as a new user on the Sassa services website, by clicking the yellow “Register” button on the home page.
- Fill out all the required fields, including your ID number, name and contact information.
- Log in to the Sassa services website using your username and password.
- Select "Apply for a Grant" and choose which grant you will be applying for.
- Complete the grant application by filling out all the required information.
- Print the Sassa generated affidavit and have it certified by a commissioner of oaths.
- Print, sign and submit the Bank Payment Form with your affidavit.
- Upload the required certified supporting documents in PDF format.
You can apply for the following social grants:
- Old age pension
- Child support grant
- Social relief of distress
- Care dependency grant
- War veterans grant
- Grant in aid
- Foster child grant
- Disability grant
Keep in mind that it may take up to three months for your Sassa application to be processed. However, you will be paid from the date on which you applied.
If your grant application was rejected, you will receive communication in writing from Sassa. You will have 90 days to appeal the decision. You must submit your appeal to the Minister of Social Development at the national office of the Department of Social Development.