After graduating from college or university, or even high school, the next step is typically to find employment. However, when most entry-level positions are seeking graduates with an unreasonable amount of experience, getting a job can seem nearly impossible.
This is where the option of a learnership comes in.
What Exactly Is A Learnership?
A learnership is usually a 12-month-long programme that involves work-based learning that results in an NQF-level qualification. Some learnerships could be as long as 24 or 36 months, depending on the programme and the sponsor.
Essentially, learnerships combine theoretical knowledge and practical learning to provide a more holistic qualification and a more well-rounded individual.
30% of a learnership involves theory, while the remaining 70% comprises practical skills and training with the theoretical component usually done face-to-face in a classroom or virtually online. The practical component is what allows you to demonstrate the theory you have learnt in the classroom in the workplace.
Learnerships are directly linked to a field of study or an occupation. For example, if you are interested in becoming a chartered accountant, you will complete a learnership in an accounting environment.
Learnerships are managed by Sector Education and Training Authorities (SETAs).
It is important to note that a learnership is a formal qualification that appears on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) and it is also recognised by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
Why Are Learnerships So Important?
Learnerships were developed by the government as a way to help learners gain the necessary skills to prepare them for the world of work. Learners who are equipped with skills that will help them excel in the workplace are more likely to find employment once they have completed their learnership.
Completing a learnership allows you to gain working experience and study for a registered qualification at the same time. This gives you an advantage when it comes to filling out job applications, and can even make you feel more comfortable and confident in the workplace.
Sometimes, learnerships may even offer the possibility of a permanent position once you have completed it.
Do You Get Paid During A Learnership?
Learners will generally receive a stipend that is governed by legislation. Payment is usually in-line with the minimum wage, which is roughly R4,000 per month. However, this number could be a lot higher depending on the sponsor. Some sponsors may offer a monthly stipend of as high as R8,000.
Learners with a qualification before beginning the learnership may be eligible for a higher salary as they already have some of the skills and knowledge.
Where To Find Learnerships
If you've decided that a learnership is a great option for you, you may be wondering where you can find one. Here are a few options that may make your learnership search a little easier.
On The Careers Portal Website
You can find available learnerships and their requirements on the learnership section of our website. If you find a learnership that you wish to apply for, you can simply follow the link provided and fill out the application form.
EduPower Skills Development Academy offers fully hosted and managed learnership programmes that ensure a learner receives a full-time employment offer following completion of the programme.
EduPower offers work readiness programmes, as well as mentorship programmes to ensure that young people are fully equipped to succeed in the workplace. This includes educating them on tax, financial planning, budgeting, computer skills and labour laws.
For more information on how these learnerships work and the programmes currently available, you can visit the EduPower website and apply from there.
While the hard skills gained through a qualification are important, soft skills gained through a learnership are essential and may just be what set you apart from the other job applicants.