- Created on Monday, 28 January 2013 10:26
- Hits: 6513
UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, an international development agency that promotes the right of every woman, man and child to enjoy a life of health and equal opportunity, is looking for an intern in South Africa to work in the organisation’s Pretoria office for a period of one year from January 2013.
The position is desk based and involves assisting the communications officer with all related communications activities.
It will entail the following:
- Finding all related media reports on UNFPA and the organisations issues
- Providing assistance editing reports and briefings produced by the program staff;
- Preparing advocacy and research materials and attending meetings with/on behalf of the communications officer.
- Assisting with carrying out daily press reviews and composing monthly situation reports;
- Administrative work, including arranging for meetings and database management;
- Assisting all program staff with everyday office needs.
- The job requires flexibility, intelligence and hard work, but offers an excellent opportunity for someone to learn about communications and advocacy work and gain valuable experience in a high profile international organisation.
- A recent graduate degree in media relations, journalism, development studies or international relations (with a focus on media), or similar; Excellent English writing and editing skills;
- Computer literacy;
- An ability to deal confidently and swiftly with a variety of demanding tasks;
- Proven research skills in international relations or a similar subject,
- Proven interest in and knowledge of the South African reproductive health issues.
This position is an internship and is not paid. Applicants must be available to work full time for one year and must meet the minimum requirements above.
Compensation: The intern will receive a stipend for transport.
How to apply:
If you wish to apply, please send:
- Internship application letter (please indicate proposed internship start and end date);
- Recent CV, please include two references;
- Two writing samples (ideally relating to reproductive or health issues in South Africa).
- A three page essay on what your contribution to UNFPA during your internship would be; and
- Transcripts of your graduate coursework with grades.
Deadline for applications: Applications will be received until vacancy is filled.