The University of South Africa (Unisa) is a university which utilises the Open and Distance Learning method which allows students to have their own schedule. This university is known worldwide as the longest standing university committed to distance education, and it enrolls close to a third of all higher education students in South Africa.
What Courses Does Unisa Offer?
Unisa offers open distance e-learning that can help you attain degrees, diplomas and certificates.
Once students have received confirmation of their registration at this university they are required to register on myUnisa. myUnisa is the university's online student portal where students can download study material and resources, including tutorial letters.
Students are able to navigate the following information using the myUnisa Student Portal:
- enrollments - codes, unit value, teaching, etc.
- personal details - full name, date of birth, postal address, contact details and study period
- assignment details - dates assignments have been received, interim results, final assignment marks
- final grade - your overall final grade can be accessed online approximately six weeks after the end of the study period.
- access to your Unisa email account and library records.
Once students have received their student numbers they must register on myUnisa and also the MyLife student email platform.
How To Access The MyUnisa Student Portal
- Go to the myUNISA student portal.
- Click on ‘Claim UNISA Login.’
- Type in your student number and click 'Continue.'
- Fill in the personal information form (Surname, Full names, DOB, South African ID No/ Passport No/ Foreign ID. Enter either ID No or Passport No, not both) and click 'Continue.'
- Read through the terms and check the boxes and then click 'Acknowledge.'
- You will see a page showing your account details (mylife email address and phone number) and also an initial UNISA password. The password will be for both myUnisa and myLife email account.
Once students have registered for myUnisa they can then access their myLife email account where important information is regularly communicated.
Students are advised to log out of their myUnisa email account when they are done using it when accessing it through a public computer or device.