If you want to apply to study in the 2024 academic year at the University of South Africa (Unisa) the applications period is open from the 1st September 2023.
What Qualifications Are Open For Application?
The university offers advanced diplomas, higher certificates, diplomas, and degrees. They also offer postgraduate diplomas and honours degrees.
The Application Period Versus the Registration Period
The process is that first you have to apply for the course you wish to study. This is done a few months before classes start. If you are accepted for to study at Unisa you will then have to register.
What Documents Are Needed For Unisa Registration?
The higher learning institution requires you to provide the following document to ensure that your registration is processed:
- Copy of your school qualifications (eg Senior Certificate, National Senior Certificate)
- Copy of your official tertiary academic records (if applicable)
- Copy of your ID document (RSA students) or ID/passport (international students)
If the university offers you placement the next of your admission will be to register on Unisa’s online system using the following instructions listed below:
- Visit the Unisa web registration page, click here to open the page.
- Choose the qualification level and then click "Go".
- Enter your student number in the block provided and the other details as required. (If you don’t have a student number you won’t be able to continue. You'll need to apply online for admission.)
- Check your personal details on screen. Change any contact details that are missing or incorrect. It is very important to provide your correct address and cellphone numbers. Incorrect information may delay the delivery of your study material and prevent you from receiving important information from the university.
- Click on the modules from the drop-down list for which you want to register. Ensure that you meet all the qualification requirements for your selected modules. You must
- Meet all the pre-requisites and co-requisites for the selected module
- Enter the correct module code
- Select the correct semester (1 = first semester; 2 = second semester) The language of tuition for each module is indicated in the module information.
- Do not exceed the prescribed number of modules per semester or year, as this may result in a delay in your registration being processed. Unisa retains the right to remove modules based on the number of credits allowed per semester and in accordance with the fees paid. Please take note of the maximum period of time you have to complete your qualification.
- Calculate your fees
- Use the fee quotation link on the Unisa website (http://www.unisa.ac.za/feequote) to obtain a quote for the cost of your modules.
- Note the minimum fee that must be paid before Unisa will process your registration. If these fees are more than you can afford, remove modules until you can afford the fees.
- You can make payment online, using the web credit card payment method.
- If you don’t have a credit card, you can use one of the Unisa payment methods listed on this page. Retain your proof of payment in case of enquiries.
- Submit your registration.
You will have two delivery options for your first study pack for the semester or year at the time of enrollment. Only modules with printed study materials are covered by this. There won't be any initial study packages delivered by the South African Post Office.
Related article: How To Pay Your Unisa Application Fee